E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I have a 2005 330ci with a UUC lightweight Flywheel and clutch. The kit only has about 55,000KM on it and it's starting to slip pretty bad the last couple of weeks. I don't have a supercharger or Turbo on the car and i only track it couple times a year, so there is no way that it could have burnt out this quick. so now i need to replace the clutch but i'm hesitant in buying UUC clutch again.

Anyone has experienced similar issues? I don't want to spend the money on the clutch and install if it's not going to last long. I would like to keep the flywheel though, which means i can't go back to the stock clutch. Do i have other options?

I contacted UUC for help, but lets say they're not the friendliest of people.

I have other UUC products which haven't had issues with. ( short shifter, pullies, TSE3 catback exhaust and even their D force rims)

Could it just be a bad install?:hmm:

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
Hi All

I have a 2005 330ci with a UUC lightweight Flywheel and clutch. The kit only has about 55,000KM on it and it's starting to slip pretty bad the last couple of weeks. I don't have a supercharger or Turbo on the car and i only track it couple times a year, so there is no way that it could have burnt out this quick. so now i need to replace the clutch but i'm hesitant in buying UUC clutch again.

Anyone has experienced similar issues? I don't want to spend the money on the clutch and install if it's not going to last long. I would like to keep the flywheel though, which means i can't go back to the stock clutch. Do i have other options?

I contacted UUC for help, but lets say they're not the friendliest of people.

I have other UUC products which haven't had issues with. ( short shifter, pullies, TSE3 catback exhaust and even their D force rims)

Could it just be a bad install?:hmm:

Any help would be appreciated.

Yes, it is very possible with "Normal" use that at roughly 34K miles you're UUC Performance Organic clutch material is shot/gone. This is not from a bad install, but the nature of the material used.

This is JUST like a very high performance summer tire with a tread wear life of 140 to 200, a super high performance tire like this give TONS of grip; but you sacrifice the lifespan of the tire.

If it were me, I'd ask UUC if the longer lasting OEM BMW M5 clutch disc will work in your application. If it does, I'd replace the clutch disc with that unit which of course can be bought anywhere.

EDIT: I just remembered that the Spline Count on the 6 speed trans is different from the 5 speed, thus the E34 M5 clutch disc won't work.

Rob43

·
Ironman
01 330iT 6MT, 98 M Roadster
5,101 Posts
I have a low mass flywheel w M5 clutch from another vendor. It's just over a year old (25k miles?) and it slips so bad the car is undriveable. I get 200k out of a clutch (has happened multiple times). I've no idea what went wrong, but I'm 100% sure it's a design or installation failure. Haven't had it apart and probably won't. Car has 210k mikes and it's done. Going to parts heaven.

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
^ That might be the case for you.

When I say what I already said about the UUC "Performance Organic" disc, I'm just repeating what was told to me by Rob the owner of UUC about the longevity of that particular clutch disc.

Rob43

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have a low mass flywheel w M5 clutch from another vendor. It's just over a year old (25k miles?) and it slips so bad the car is undriveable. I get 200k out of a clutch (has happened multiple times). I've no idea what went wrong, but I'm 100% sure it's a design or installation failure. Haven't had it apart and probably won't. Car has 210k mikes and it's done. Going to parts heaven.
Which vendor?

OP - which clutch disk did you use?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
yeah unfortunately the E34 M5 clutch wont work.

Do i have any other options other than the UUC Performance Organic disc? i don't want to be changing my clutch every 50,000km.

EDIT: I currently have the Organic disc with the lightweight flywheel. Even though I only have 72,000km on my car and it's not a daily driver i'm not sure if i want to put it back on if the lifespan is so short.

·
Registered
162 Posts
yeah unfortunately the E34 M5 clutch wont work.

Do i have any other options other than the UUC Performance Organic disc? i don't want to be changing my clutch every 50,000km.

EDIT: I currently have the Organic disc with the lightweight flywheel. Even though I only have 72,000km on my car and it's not a daily driver i'm not sure if i want to put it back on if the lifespan is so short.
Is the 6-speed the gearbox as the E46 M3? You could check what those guys are using, I think it was a 22-spline clutch disk?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so i guess i'll order the UUC clutch again and hope it last longer this time.

Should i buy the replacement friction surface for the flyhweel while i'm at it?

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
so i guess i'll order the UUC clutch again and hope it last longer this time. This is probably your most cost effective answer under the circumstances.

Should i buy the replacement friction surface for the flyhweel while i'm at it?

The replaceable friction surface is probably in good shape, it Will look funky in a rainbow of colors though. Unless it looks like the surface is even with the bolt pattern or it's heavily scared, I'd keep it because a new one is about $99 dollars IIRC.

Rob43

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The replaceable friction surface is probably in good shape, it Will look funky in a rainbow of colors though. Unless it looks like the surface is even with the bolt pattern or it's heavily scared, I'd keep it because a new one is about $99 dollars IIRC.

Rob43
Thanks.. UUC has a 10% off plus free shipping promo so I was thinking to might as well buy the fiction surface to be safe just in case? I only have 55,000km or so on the flywheel/clutch. .

Oh I've been driving my car like this for like 3 weeks now.. getting little bit worse and worse by the day.. you think anything else might be damaged?

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
Thanks.. UUC has a 10% off plus free shipping promo so I was thinking to might as well buy the fiction surface to be safe just in case? I only have 55,000km or so on the flywheel/clutch. .

Oh I've been driving my car like this for like 3 weeks now.. getting little bit worse and worse by the day.. you think anything else might be damaged?
If you call them & barter over the phone you should/could be able to get up to a 25% off price on your need parts. UUC occasionally offers 25% off on UUC made parts, so both the clutch disc & steel friction surface would be available for this.

Rob43

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you call them & barter over the phone you should/could be able to get up to a 25% off price on your need parts. UUC occasionally offers 25% off on UUC made parts, so both the clutch disc & steel friction surface would be available for this.

Rob43
good point, i always notice they do 25% off.

thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts