BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I currently have a 2005 E46 330ci which has developed an odd problem. The side mirror switch fully works adjusting the driver side mirror. I then flip the switch to adjust the passenger side and it continues adjusting the driver’s side mirror and doesn’t move the passenger side mirror.

In addition to this the passenger side mirror dips when engaging reverse – I cannot turn this off when toggling the side switch...

The car has power folding mirrors and electric memory seats.

Has anyone else had this issue – my initial thoughts it’s a faulty switch but before I spend $$$ just wanted to check if it could be something else.

I have searched for this scenario but cannot find any other threads on it :D

Thanks

·
//Binary is in my DNA
2002 BMW 325i
3,913 Posts
Hi all,

I currently have a 2005 E46 330ci which has developed an odd problem. The side mirror switch fully works adjusting the driver side mirror. I then flip the switch to adjust the passenger side and it continues adjusting the driver's side mirror and doesn't move the passenger side mirror.

In addition to this the passenger side mirror dips when engaging reverse - I cannot turn this off when toggling the side switch...

Has anyone else had this issue - my initial thoughts it's a faulty switch but before I spend $$$ just wanted to check if it could be something else.

Thanks
My best guess would indeed be a switch. Being that you have 2 separate issues (right side adjust and tilt) tells me the switch is not switching. The switch is the common denominator between the 2 symptoms. I believe the switch is not sending the message of right side command via K-Bus. I am by no means an expert but that is the first thing to try. The switch isn't that expensive, I think around $50.00.

https://www.bmwgm5.com/bmwgm5/E46_Outside_Mirrors.htm

·
Registered
366 Posts
In addition to this the passenger side mirror dips when engaging reverse – I cannot turn this off when toggling the side switch...

passenger side does indeed dip when drivers mirror is engaged, so I would lean towards the switch being bad since if passenger side is selected it should NOT dip and yours does so its as if it does not see the switch being passenger side selected at all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all - Ill check the memory seats lights and try a new mirror switch to see if that resolved it. Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
10,207 Posts
Hi all,

I currently have a 2005 E46 330ci which has developed an odd problem. The side mirror switch fully works adjusting the driver side mirror. I then flip the switch to adjust the passenger side and it continues adjusting the driver’s side mirror and doesn’t move the passenger side mirror.

Has anyone else had this issue – my initial thoughts it’s a faulty switch but before I spend $$$ just wanted to check if it could be something else.

Thanks
You need to replace the switch that moves the mirror. I forget how it is constructed, but I think that the joystick and selector switch are a unit, you have to replace the unit. Use a small screwdriver to carefully lift the unit out of the door handle, the wires will come up with it. Simply unplug the connector and plug the new switch in, then set it back into the door handle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts