E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok this is the second radiator I purchased inside a year that has had this issue, the first time I installed it and had a leak and had to take everything out again after I found it. This time I checked before installation, and sure enough, same problem. The screw down post for the "E" Tank holder is too long, thus preventing proper seating of the E tank to the holder, and a leak happens. I had to cut about 1/4" off of the post with my dremel tool to match the size of the original. So if you are getting a Behr, check it before you install.

This is my first post on this issue

This is the New one

This is the Old one

This is my cut

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yep. I purchased mine for my '01 330xi and it didn't fit either. Thank God I took the time to make sure it fitted in perfectly before putting everything back together. My old Expansion tank mount plate wouldn't sit in all the way, especially a critical small pipe at the bottom with an O-ring. I knew that if that O-ring didn't sit in properly it was going to leak for sure. After reading some old posts I found out that that was the case. I had to cut a 1/4" off a small prong at the bottom, don't know what it does, and also had to cut some of the plastic guides at the bottom of my ET mount plate, so that it could go further into the radiator and allow the O-ring to get inside the radiator. When I talked to Bavauto the customer reps has the guts to tell me that it was the first time that he had heard that this radiator did not fit 100%. I had t hang up on him. I didn't want to return it because I still didn't want to spend $300 on a BMW radiator. I installed mine a couple of weeks ago. So far no leaks.

Eduardo

·
Registered
494 Posts
I had this issue when I did my overhaul 3 weeks ago. I bought a new et mounting bracket. I had to cut the screw insert just as you did but the bracket still sticked out at the bottom so youll probably run into it as well. I ended up sanding the bottom part of the bracket so that it would fit smoothly onto the radiator then added clip ties for extra support. Have you tried installing it yet?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I had this issue when I did my overhaul 3 weeks ago. I bought a new et mounting bracket. I had to cut the screw insert just as you did but the bracket still sticked out at the bottom so youll probably run into it as well. I ended up sanding the bottom part of the bracket so that it would fit smoothly onto the radiator then added clip ties for extra support. Have you tried installing it yet?

I had the same issue with the Behr as you and was in no mood to modify it after an engine swap, so I bought the Modine and kept the Behr for back-up.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Behrs are a perfect fit for manual-trans cars, but it seem the autos need the Dremelization. No biggie; don't let it sway you away from Behr, especially if you can get one cheaper.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
No biggie; don't let it sway you away from Behr, especially if you can get one cheaper.
This is correct. Its no biggie if you fix it BEFORE you install everything. I have had no issue with this fix on my Xi, the one I did last year.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
This is correct. Its no biggie if you fix it BEFORE you install everything.
So true! Nice that you provided the excellent pics and measurement of what needs to be trimmed.

I HATE uninstalling things that I've already installed! :censor:

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
This is correct. Its no biggie if you fix it BEFORE you install everything. I have had no issue with this fix on my Xi, the one I did last year.
Without any measurements on exactly how much to cut off on the ET mount bracket makes its a bigger job than it is worth for anyone that owns an auto. A person would have to install the radiator and bracket just to mark the areas that needed to be cut. This is just not one of the parts I would want to dick around with since it is a vital component of the cooling system. Not worth it if you ask me.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Without any measurements on exactly how much to cut off on the ET mount bracket makes its a bigger job than it is worth for anyone that owns an auto. I person would have to install the radiator and bracket just to mark the areas that needed to be cut. Not worth it if you ask me.
For sure, each person should check their own work or at least verify what others have said. I 100% agree with you here. I only included what I did, and it worked for me. I measured the old post and put that measurement up on the new post, the excess is what I cut off which was apx 1/4", (marked with a silver sharpie on the new one in picture number 3 above), but anyone that runs up on a similar issue needs to check and double check for them selves....Measure twice, cut once!! I checked this one at least 3 times before I cut it off.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Without any measurements on exactly how much to cut off on the ET mount bracket makes its a bigger job than it is worth for anyone that owns an auto. A person would have to install the radiator and bracket just to mark the areas that needed to be cut. This is just not one of the parts I would want to dick around with since it is a vital component of the cooling system. Not worth it if you ask me.
I agree, if auto then OE. Least amount of hassle and most peace of mind.

·
Registered
206 Posts
So what's the temp in Phoenix right now? I only ask because I see you're wearing socks with your sandals.

I'm a klutz and I regularly drop tools so adequate toe protection is a requirement for me.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I installed mine (Behr also from bmaparts) about 5K miles ago. I checked all o-rings and mounted the ET to the radiator before installing on the car. My ET was also manufactured by Behr. So far no leaks...

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So what's the temp in Phoenix right now? I only ask because I see you're wearing socks with your sandals.

I'm a klutz and I regularly drop tools so adequate toe protection is a requirement for me.
lol, my A/C went on yesterday if that is any clue. Mid 80s. Sometimes I miss winter weather.

·
Registered
2005 330i manual transmission performance package
3,886 Posts
How is the modine and who sells it?

Pelican parts carries Modine radiators. I bought mine from BMAparts actually. Initially I ordered Behr, didn't like that there was a spot at the center where cooling lines and fins were bare metal, then asked them to exchange with Modine and they got one for me.
However, the Modine radiator is expensive - cost me $255. I could have ordered one from an online BMW dealer for less.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I like your user name. I was a naval Aircrewman in one of my past lives. Great video. I wont be purchasing another Behr again. Others have stated that this Behr is for MT cars which is why there is a fitment issue. I dont know personally as both of mine are ATs.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I like your user name. I was a naval Aircrewman in one of my past lives. Great video. I wont be purchasing another Behr again. Others have stated that this Behr is for MT cars which is why there is a fitment issue. I dont know personally as both of mine are ATs.

Thank you for your service.

1 - 20 of 159 Posts