BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, I've seen enough threads about check engine lights, ABS lights, brake lights that I had to make this thread. If one of these lights has come on in your car, do not make a thread and ask what could be wrong it can be NUMEROUS things. First thing you need to do, is get the car scanned.

If your "service engine soon" light is on, you can have the generic code pulled at a place like Auto Zone or Oreillys for free. MOST of the time the generic code is enough to diagnose the car, so get the code pulled THEN do a search on the codes, if after searching for a while you haven't found anything make a thread with what the code is and everyone on the site can try to help you from there on.

If your ABS or Brake light is on you must have the car scanned somewhere that has scanner capable to communicate with the car. Auto Zone and other similar stores will not be able to do this. You will have to take it a euro indy shop or your local dealer and it will probably cost you a scan/diag fee. The wheel speed sensor is NOT the only possible reason the lights came on even though alot of people on this site like to think so. The light is not on because your speed sensors are dirty, i don't know why everyone here jumps to that as a first conclusion, the sensors are pretty much immune to dirt and grease. No, its not going to come on because your alignment is a little off. If it came on after having your battery disconnected for a while, it could just be that the steering angle sensor needs to be initialized, and normally all you will have to do is drive the car for a few minutes above 20 mph. If it doesn't go off after that, you will have to get it scanned. It can be anything from a yaw sensor, to a dsc unit, to just your brake fluid being low. Get the car scanned then come on the site and search on here what the codes are and mean, if you cant find anything after a search then start a new thread and you can go from there.

If your coolant light is on, if you don't have an obvious leak it will need to be pressure tested at a shop. Once the leak is identified, seach for a diy on here. If you can't find what u are looking for after a few searches then you can post a new thread with questions.

If you have any questions, feel free to pm me, i'm always happy to help anyone.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
good thread, my fellow r6 rider :str8pimpi

should be a sticky, seeing as how often these lights come on. hell, for me, my dsc\abs\brake lights come on once in awhile, but usually go away after driving or bit, or restarting the car.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its just, i see at least one or 2 new threads a day saying "my abs light is on, whats wrong with my car???" and everyone just answers with "check your wheel sensors, they are probably dirty"

·
Falling from 14k ft.
4,031 Posts
Ok, I've seen enough threads about check engine lights, ABS lights, brake lights that I had to make this thread. If one of these lights has come on in your car, do not make a thread and ask what could be wrong it can be NUMEROUS things. First thing you need to do, is get the car scanned.

If your "service engine soon" light is on, you can have the generic code pulled at a place like Auto Zone or Oreillys for free. MOST of the time the generic code is enough to diagnose the car, so get the code pulled THEN do a search to find out what the code means. If, after hours of searching, you still haven't found the answer, make a thread with what the code is and everyone on the site can try to help you from there on.

If your ABS or Brake light is on you must have the car scanned somewhere that has scanner capable to communicate with the car. Auto Zone and other similar stores will not be able to do this. You will have to take it a euro indy shop or your local dealer and it will probably cost you a scan/diag fee. The wheel speed sensor is NOT the only possible reason the lights came on even though alot of people on this site like to think so. I can be anything from a yaw sensor, to a dsc unit, to just your brake fluid being low. Get the car scanned then come on the site and search for what the code means. If your hours of searching have proved to be a failure post what the codes are and you can go from there.

If you have any questions, feel free to search or pm me, i'm always happy to help anyone.
Fixed. :p

·
Registered
418 Posts
i disagree with the autozone statement. i had my dsc,brake,abs lights on took to autozone and they scanned. only thing is my car passed perfect lol. other then that after i let my mother drive my car(5 speed manual) i guess she has the touch and the lights finally went away after 2 months. i even cleaned the wheel speed sensors to get that out of the way.

·
Registered
881 Posts
i disagree with the autozone statement. i had my dsc,brake,abs lights on took to autozone and they scanned. only thing is my car passed perfect lol. other then that after i let my mother drive my car(5 speed manual) i guess she has the touch and the lights finally went away after 2 months. i even cleaned the wheel speed sensors to get that out of the way.
:read:

If your ABS or Brake light is on you must have the car scanned somewhere that has scanner capable to communicate with the car. Auto Zone and other similar stores will not be able to do this. You will have to take it a euro indy shop or your local dealer and it will probably cost you a scan/diag fee.

·
Registered
33,143 Posts
Err, sorry to inform you of this, but you fail in multiple ways. Other than not being able to read the original post of this thread, that says you can't read those codes with a basic OBD2 scanner, cleaning a wheel speed sensor won't affect it in the slightest since it is likely a Hall or VR sensor, which are immune to dirt, grease, rocks, plastic, etc... The only thing that could throw it off is if a magnet was attached to it. :rofl:

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you can't read those codes with a basic OBD2 scanner, cleaning a wheel speed sensor won't affect it in the slightest since it is likely a Hall or VR sensor, which are immune to dirt, grease, rocks, plastic, etc... The only thing that could throw it off is if a magnet was attached to it. :rofl:
quoted so everyone can read this.

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
People will still ignore it....... I had a post not to call my shop if you were not from the area I still get calls from people in NY hey I am on the forums whats wrong with my car! ARG post it and if I am in a nice mood I MIGHT offer my advise for free.

·
Registered
5 Posts
330 ciandr6 - I saw that infamous Ag Town Cop Car from ur sig pics lol. Small world, I live in south Arlington, just got a 325Ci. If I see ya out swangin Il chunk ya the duece

·
Registered
197 Posts
I've had the DSC + brake light problem for about a year. I have a unique problem though.

The lights only come on when it's NOT hot out. If I start the car when it's hotter than about 85-90 degrees out, especially if the car has been sitting in the sun for a while, the lights will not come on at all, and I can even turn the DSC on and off fine as if it's working correctly. The system will engage and function properly when the wheels are slipping.

What does this tell you?

1 - 20 of 103 Posts