E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this question may sound odd/stupid, but is viscous fan(fan clutch) standard on all BMW M52 engines? My e46 has m52b25tu(323ci) and today I saw another M52 engine, but this one had a fan attached to the water pump pulley and had a fan shroud(idk if "shroud" correct), which mine doesnt(both a fan and a shroud). I have the threads on my pulley and I've been driving it for more than 2 years, it never overheated, always stays ot 92-93 degrees celsius(198-200 fahrenheit), even though the summers here are kinda hot. I didnt find any info about this topic anywhere and I am sorry if it was asked.

·
Super Moderator
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
5,206 Posts
So this question may sound odd/stupid, but is viscous fan(fan clutch) standard on all BMW M52 engines? My e46 has m52b25tu(323ci) and today I saw another M52 engine, but this one had a fan attached to the water pump pulley and had a fan shroud(idk if "shroud" correct), which mine doesnt(both a fan and a shroud). I have the threads on my pulley and I've been driving it for more than 2 years, it never overheated, always stays ot 92-93 degrees celsius(198-200 fahrenheit), even though the summers here are kinda hot. I didnt find any info about this topic anywhere and I am sorry if it was asked.
All the E46s here in the US got a water pump driven fan clutch in addition to an electric auxilliary fan if automatic trans, and puller electric fan only if manual trans. Not sure if that also applies to the other models offered world wide.

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
7,476 Posts
Manual should have an electric puller fan.

·
Administrator
2004 330Ci 115k miles
16,756 Posts
A few clarifications:
  • E46 never got the M52 engine, the 323/328 got the M52TU, which is quite different (I updated the thread title)
  • Look up your E46 parts on realoem.com, it will show what your car came with

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
oh, splatz- on the early cars, did a/c factor into what fan you got?

t

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,401 Posts
The early M52TU manual trans cars had the same fan set up as the auto trans cars: mechanical fan/clutch and pusher electric fan
unless i’m reading your post wrong Bali, think you’ll find this is not correct.
my earliest delivered 323Ci in the states was manual and only had the electric fan. same as several others I’ve seen.

·
Administrator
2004 330Ci 115k miles
16,756 Posts
I am pretty sure I have seen at least one and photos of another. I think it was the very earliest ones.
Happy to be corrected if I am wrong though.

Or, perhaps it is the early auto trans cars that have only the puller fan?

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,401 Posts
well I have posted a 323i that had both long ago. yep it was an early sedan. but never seen a 323Ci have both. either way the statement manual and automatics have both isn’t correct.

·
Administrator
2004 330Ci 115k miles
16,756 Posts
well I have posted a 323i that had both long ago. yep it was an early sedan. but never seen a 323Ci have both. either way the statement manual and automatics have both isn’t correct.
I removed my comment, because I am not sure. Memory is failing me…
I thought some very early 323/328 MT models had the same dual fan setup as the AT models.
Need to spend more time searching old posts.
I tried to sus it out using realoem to get part numbers and then search for images but could not verify.
Not sure about sedan vs coupe either. Was probably only sedan since coupe came later.

·
Administrator
2004 330Ci 115k miles
16,756 Posts
My 2000 323Ci manual born 12/99 came with the electric puller fan only.
Thanks for that data point.

I spent another hour this morning searching for part numbers and their photos as well as posts on here, but did not find anything definitive.
Every USA market E46 with auto trans I have seen came stock with the pusher electric fan and mechanical fan and clutch. I think we all agree on that. I am “pretty sure” I have seen some very early E46 with manual trans with the same dual fan set up, but cannot find the evidence to support my claim. I don’t care if I am right or wrong, just want to find the truth. Thanks to alex for the challenge. (y)

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
7,476 Posts
Thanks for that data point.

I spent another hour this morning searching for part numbers and their photos as well as posts on here, but did not find anything definitive.
Every USA market E46 with auto trans I have seen came stock with the pusher electric fan and mechanical fan and clutch. I think we all agree on that. I am “pretty sure” I have seen some very early E46 with manual trans with the same dual fan set up, but cannot find the evidence to support my claim. I don’t care if I am right or wrong, just want to find the truth. Thanks to alex for the challenge. (y)
I seem to recall the same.

·
Registered
2005 330i manual transmission performance package
3,894 Posts
The US market E46 models with manual transmission came with dual mechanical and electric fans up to 09/98, after that - with a single electric puller fan.
Not sure the E46 coupes were available at the time, they were pobably still selling E36 323ci and 328ci...

I had one of the last 323i (09/98) to come with two fans.
Back then the OEM Bosch fans were still made in Germany and quite affordable (under $200), so I converted to single electric fan, only to have the car rear ended a few months after. Swapped the mechanical fan back in before insurance took the car. Still have the electric one as a spare, which has now become priceless.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,401 Posts
The US market E46 models with manual transmission came with dual mechanical and electric fans up to 09/98, after that - with a single electric puller fan.
I had one of the last 323i (09/98) to come with two fans.
yep that sounds familiar. jives with what I said about earliest build 323i sedans. but not going to see it on the earliest 323Ci (Coupe that OP has) as it was changed well before their builds.

Reactions: BaliDawg

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,401 Posts

·
Registered
2003 BMW M3 SMG Convertible; 2000 BMW 328CI 5MT; 1997 BMW 328I 5MT Swap; 1996 BMW 328IS 5MT Swap
4 Posts
my 2000 328Ci 5S has a single electric puller fan

·
Administrator
2004 330Ci 115k miles
16,756 Posts
yep here’s a thread I’m in some 10 years ago going over the earliest build 323i sedans and both. Megalocnus is also in the thread 👍🏻
Auxilary Fan makes car almost undriveable
Nice find.
It is funny how confusing realoem.com (and other websites) can be for certain parts. I'm looking at you electric fans, suspension springs, alternators, etc.

Apologies to OP for this extended tangent.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts