BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i went to the dealer today to get my oil light taking off ( the yellow one when you stop the engine). so he put some in and i drove home. i let the engine set for about 10 min and checked the oil. it was a little over filled. its at the space right above the middle mark. what do you guys think? should i go back and have them take some out?

·
Registered
347 Posts
no, a little extra oil wont hurt anything... now if it was overflowing... that might be different ;)

·
Registered
11,137 Posts
no, it's fine, i always have a little extra as well.

·
Network Analyst
3,469 Posts
Having way too much oil (if I remember auto shop class correctly) can result in the crankshaft (or rods) dipping into the oil pan. I think it hurts performance and puts extra stress on the shaft.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

dave

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the info. i let the engine set over night and the oil level was fine. just a little high when the engine temp is warm

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
12,960 Posts
if you have a few ounces extra

it won't hurt your engine. i say if you have a extra quart it will.
bobm3 ;) ;)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Too much pressure can screw up some things, but a little over shouldn't hurt. Most manufacturers take that into account when they make the dip-stick. It shouldn't be more than a couple or three millimetres above the "full" mark when warm though. If you have an oil pressure guage keep an eye on it. If not, watch for other warning lights (BMW has warnings for stuff we'd never think of.)

Jay

·
Registered
138 Posts
too much oil very bad

a few ounces shouldn't hurt. if there is way too much (and i am sure there is a fair bit if margin for error: remember those guys who tried to see how far they could drive after the miles-to-empty indicator said 0?), the crankshaft dipping into the oil causes it to froth up, resulting in oil not getting to where it should be, which of course is bad.

at least, that is what i've read before.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I just recently had the same problem with my car.

I own a 99' E46 323I manual with 69,000 miles. Sometimes when I turn off my car, the "yellow oil light" will come on alone. What does that yellow oil light mean?? Oil Pressure or Low Oil Fluid. I checked my oil, and its a little bit above the MIN mark.

Should I buy some Oil from the dealership and add and also another thing is how can I tell if I am burning Oil?? I have checked around my car and there is no indication that it it leaking oil.
What will need be need to replaced to fix the problem and what is the estimate price range.

Thanks

·
Registered
201 Posts
Make sure you check it at a few different places. A slight incline/decline will effect the reading. I thought my garage was level and my oil was a little overfilled as well, until I went to a gas station and a few other places and realized.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts