BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yea..ok, imma n00b at this guys. i just started getting into BMW's not too long ago so i dont kno anything about it. i just worked on hondas.
anyways..i was wondering, would it be worth getting like an E36 M3? say...a 96 M3 with 80,000 miles on it for like 15000. how reliable are they, do they last, and is it hard to take care of? help please...

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
12,767 Posts
Take a look on forums.bimmerfest.com a few members have swapped from E46s to E36 M3s. If you are getting an older M3 might as well get a 95 OBDI as it is more tunable.

Tim

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ohh yea..cool. but are e26's reliable and how long do they usually last? hows the maintenance on it? anything i would need to know before i get one?

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
13,151 Posts
talk to vinnymack

he just bought a e36m3 for the track. he can tell you the ins and outs of that model. ask him he can tell you what you want to know.
bobm3 ;) ;)

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
from what i've read ... M engines arn't meant to go more than 100k... altho there are plenty of e36 and even e30s with well over that mark..

it wouldn't have been so bad if u brought this up 3 years ago when the e46 just came out.. but now that the new e90 is on the way.. ur e36 would be horribly outdated.. much like how the e30 is to our e46s..

·
BMW Land Barge
1,378 Posts
E36 M3 engines are NOT M engines. IMHO, as someone who's currently kind of in the market that's a GOOD thing.

Remember that the S52B32US is really just a bored M52 with more aggressive cams. It's a great engine, thanks to its relative simplicity and somewhat more comfortable tolerances.

Now, the S14 and the S54, OTOH... Well, I've got a friend whose S14 has been spread all over his garage since about 130 miles after he bought the damned car. 80 some-odd K and the engine needs a rebuild. Ouch!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I used to have a OBD I E36 M3. Here are the things to look out for:

Usually after 60K the Vanos system tends to go out and I believe it is about $2,000 to replace. Also there has been little issues to look for, such as the broken gas gauge where the tank reads empty when its full, also watch for the crazy power window where you click it up or down and the window doesn't go straight down on its own but might stop or dance up and down first before closing or opening. But the main thing is you'll be driving a BMW.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts