E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
'02 330i 5-Speed
5,919 Posts
$4800 Canadian is $3782 American... No; price looks right as long as there's not anything obviously wrong with it. It's a base model with the manual seats and climate controls. Check to see if the SES light (a.k.a. the Check Engine light) is on, and since you're in the Great White North you'll obviously want to check for rust as well.

Just a word to the wise, also: E46s are WONDERFUL cars when everything is working properly, but you have to stay on top of maintenance otherwise you'll hate it. They're not "drive and forget" like many Japanese makes.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
I'd do a carfax search on the VIN. Bit of a pig in a poke with no service records. Cooling system refresh coming up soon. Can you get an independent inspection from somebody who knows BMW s?

·
Registered
2004 325ci
423 Posts
In my opinion that is far too over priced for the most basic 320i I've seen in a long time. The low Km's and overall shape are the only two good things about that car, everything else is just blah. No sunroof, no heated seats, fake leather, no cruise control or steering wheel audio controls.... Plus being a 320 it uses a 2.2L six that will feel absolutly lazy and unmotiovated to even get out of its own way.

Keep in mind that no matter what the milage is they will need the usual preventative maintanence regardless unless you find one with recent service records.

You would be better off to find a 325 or 330, which if you're looking to spend around 5K shouldn't be too hard to do. For referance my 325ci cost me $3000 here in Alberta with a clean body and it didn't require a lot of mechanical work to get it up to snuff. Its fully loaded too with the Harmon Kardon stereo, heated sports seats, sunroof, auto climate control, parking sensors etc...

·
Administrator
2004 330Ci 115k miles
16,670 Posts
Read this stickied Buyer’s Guide thread at the top of this forum.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
It is the entry level model, so not many of the usual amenities. I'd check Autotrader.ca for comparable offerings, but as suggested above, you might be happier with a better equipped and more frisky model. Unless the price gets a lot lower and you don't care.

·
Super Moderator
'02 330i 5-Speed
5,919 Posts
I'd pay more for a clean, low-mile base model than a more worn-out higher-trim version. Nice, clean E46s are getting harder to find and are the only realistic starting point for non-shadetree mechanic ownership.

·
Registered
E46 '04 330Ci convertible 780 K km
1,549 Posts
You can buy LHD E46 in great condition from Japan, with mileage below 60K miles and for something under 3K USD.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts