E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is this the ticking noise everyone refers to? I took this video of my engine running earlier today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r43i9RomrkE

The noise is noticeable. I also get a some vibrations if I rev the engine to around 3000 rpms. The vibrations are very noticeable, especially if in neutral.

Maybe an exhaust leak in the headers somewhere? I just got an exhaust leak in the rear of my exhaust patched up today so I'm all paranoid about other leaks. This sound bounces off nearby curbs/cars when I'm sitting in traffic, and it sounds very similar to an exhaust leak but it's coming from the head of the engine!

Any ideas?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're sticking the camera into the injectors. The sound you are hearing is the injector pulses. That is completely normal.
Okay that's good to hear lol. I'm new to these BMW engines and they are way noisier than my Lexus engine I used to have haha.

As for the vibrations at 3k rmp, that does NOT seem normal to me in any way. I'll try to get a video of that soon. It's almost like a rattle/vibration. Very odd. And only at 3000-3500 rpms. :hmm:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts