E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received new OEM bushings and sway links. Is this broken white piece on the back of the ball joint purely a cosmetic issue, or do these white covers hold any pressure on the ball joint, etc? Just curious before I install them. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
931 Posts
No, nothing leaking out. I'm just being a bit paranoid I guess. I'm thinking its fine to use, but just want to be sure.
I would replace just to be safe.. never know if the grease could start leaking from there down the road.. may get worn, etc..

·
Banned
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I might as well just install it...easy to swap back out if it goes limp on me down the road (I know, that's what she said). Seems to be retaining pressure when moving the ball joint around.

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,761 Posts
So, just for you, OP, I sacrificed the extra end link I had and ripped it apart to see what I thought.

I think you're fine...and the reason I think this is that that cap is the bottom part of a tiny plastic cup...it has grease in the bottom and on top where the rubber boot is.

As long as that crack didn't descend into that valley surrounding the rounded dome, you're fine. I banged my 'cup' out. The part that's cracked on yours, obviously split off when I did that, but it didn't crack beneath to the ridge...which is where the container starts. Nothing pushes back on it, the ball itself is held into position firmly in the front with a metal clip.

It is compromised, but you could still be an uncompromising bmw owner and still use it safely. No one but us 150K know now, and none of us will tell.

Oh, don't feel guilty...it was an old one.

BTW, you'll need a thin wrench...I made a thin 18mm to put on my new ones, but needed a 16 mm to get the old ones off...so make sure you get the right wrench for the one you're putting on...you can grind down slowly, keeping it cool the whole time, or just buy one...but you don't want to tighten the nut while rotating against the rubber boot.

HTH

Doug

·
Registered
30,072 Posts
So, just for you, OP, I sacrificed the extra end link I had and ripped it apart to see what I thought.

I think you're fine...and the reason I think this is that that cap is the bottom part of a tiny plastic cup...it has grease in the bottom and on top where the rubber boot is.

As long as that crack didn't descend into that valley surrounding the rounded dome, you're fine. I banged my 'cup' out. The part that's cracked on yours, obviously split off when I did that, but it didn't crack beneath to the ridge...which is where the container starts. Nothing pushes back on it, the ball itself is held into position firmly in the front with a metal clip.

It is compromised, but you could still be an uncompromising bmw owner and still use it safely. No one but us 150K know now, and none of us will tell.

BTW, you'll need a thin wrench...I made a thin 18mm to put on my new ones, but needed a 16 mm to get the old ones off...so make sure you get the right wrench for the one you're putting on...you can grind down slowly, keeping it cool the whole time, or just buy one...but you don't want to tighten the nut while rotating against the rubber boot.

HTH

Doug
Thin wrench misconception is funny. I've done this plenty of times on E36s, and a couple E46s (including my own) and a regular ol fat wrench works just fine. Just make sure its high quality and not one that will round out. In other words, make sure its not from china. First time doing this on my E36 M3, i put the project off for two months cause i couldn't track down a bicycle cone wrench which is super thin. I just said screw it, and tried using regular old fat tools. No issues.

·
Banned
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

HTH

Doug
Thanks for taking the time out to do that...definitely helps.

I've installed a few sets of these guys over the last 6 years, but never had one that was cracked like that, so I wasn't sure.

Just FYI, the seller (Pelican Parts) was more than happy to exchange it and has always been good to me over the years...no issues there. I'm just ready to install a bunch of stuff I bought though, and don't really want to wait on a new one if I don't have to.

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,761 Posts
Thin wrench misconception is funny. I've done this plenty of times on E36s, and a couple E46s (including my own) and a regular ol fat wrench works just fine. Just make sure its high quality and not one that will round out. In other words, make sure its not from china.
I think the fat wrench misconception isn't funny. I know there are some end links that have some other method of holding the ball still, like with a hex head, but otherwise, given the torque needed...I couldn't get a wrench in between the sway bar and ball with a fatter wrench...it just wouldn't fit in without rubbing the boot...and worse, before I had 'thinned' my wrench sufficiently, first time I tightened it up, I couldn't get my wrench out. I suppose I could have left it in as like an extra washer, but I sort of needed it for the other side.

I suspect you used another brand of endlink, Mango, because I know I've heard of many using the thin wrench, but I also suspect that those who've damaged their rubber boot, wouldn't notice for quite some time...there's a lot of grease in there protecting things.

·
Registered
30,072 Posts
I think the fat wrench misconception isn't funny. I know there are some end links that have some other method of holding the ball still, like with a hex head, but otherwise, given the torque needed...I couldn't get a wrench in between the sway bar and ball with a fatter wrench...it just wouldn't fit in without rubbing the boot...and worse, before I had 'thinned' my wrench sufficiently, first time I tightened it up, I couldn't get my wrench out. I suppose I could have left it in as like an extra washer, but I sort of needed it for the other side.

I suspect you used another brand of endlink, Mango, because I know I've heard of many using the thin wrench, but I also suspect that those who've damaged their rubber boot, wouldn't notice for quite some time...there's a lot of grease in there protecting things.
I've always used OEM Lemforder links.

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,761 Posts
I've always used OEM Lemforder links.
Same here. I hope your endlinks are fine and will bow to your superior mechanical skills because I couldn't do it without spending an extra half an hour on my bench grinder...part of that might have been me, but I think part of it was the endlink!

Let's see what GN thinks about this; he can settle it! :lmao:

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,761 Posts
I hereby declare E46Mango has even less clues about BMWs than dmax. This is a new offcial record.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=699542&highlight=
That's not fair; I work much harder at this than Mango and think I deserve the honor of having you think me the most clueless. Please reconsider. Look at our entire body of works and then come back...after you've read every one of our posts and analyzed them...again thoroughly.

Also, you been monitoring your exhaust smells like I told you...very carefully and repeatedly in a garage (so it serves as a snifter for you to pick up all the notes of smell...not that I want you to die or anything sort of close to that! :lmao:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts