BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to test drive a 325i today and they only had a auto with steptronic. When I shift it to steptronic there's only 3 gears is this right? I have no clue cause in my current car it has 4 or 5 i think.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I don't have a 325 but three of my friends and an ex girlfriend have them and it should def have 5 gears in steptronic mode. 1-5

·
Registered
665 Posts
I think he's referring to Drive, Neutral, Reverse.

The tranny has five gears. If you want to chose them manually, move the lever to the left and tap up or down to shift through the five gears. Otherwise, don't tap and the tranny will automatically shift for you. Left for auto sport mode and right for auto normal mode.

·
Registered
726 Posts
WHEN YOU PUT IT IN STEP AT A STOP OR AT LOW SPEEDS IT WILL ONLY GO THROUGH 3 GEARS BUT WHEN YOU ARE AT A HIGH ENOUGH RPM TO GO TO 4 AND 5 IT WILL....TRUST ME.

·
1.888.JLEVISW
29,561 Posts
Well actually when ur in a stop the tranny will shift into all 5 years...or at least this is with me...but the second I let off the brake the tranny defaults back to 2nd gear and allows me to start...it cannot start from a stop in any gear higher than 2nd...but I can be in 5th gear at any speed...whether it's 5mph or 80mph....so I can start in 2nd and then right when i start rolling tap up to 5th and be at very low RPM's but it will still work...wow I am confusing...

·
First 19" ZHP
1,463 Posts
i can shift all the way to 5 when im at a stop but i take it back down to 1 or 2 when i start moving

·
Registered
24 Posts
Guys

I have a steptronic too.

I noticed that when I come to a stop the tranny shifts down automatically to 2 and not 1.

Why is that? Is it cos the tranny sensed that we can move off in 2nd gear withouit having to stress it on 1st? I mean, I CAN shift it to 1st if I want to.

Appreciate your answers!

Thanks!:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
doesn't want dumbasses to lose control when the car launches @ 1st gear because it's pretty quick-revving and they prolly don't want ppl to get caught off guard

1 - 20 of 23 Posts