BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2002 330 Ci
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that know, I'm basically building a new e46 330ci vert. As I disassemble and clean bits I find questionable bits.

So, the lady who had this car bottomed it out quite a bit and there's some indentations on the sub frame.

It came off really easy as it should and isn't warped. Here's the pics.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,870 Posts
i don’t see anything that appear to show it being bad from what can be viewed in photo.
thing with that reinforcement plate is it’s two panels connected. the one that gets any dings isn’t the one that is directly touching the chassis reinforcing it.
the plastic engine undershield is the one that gets beat the most. it doesn’t do anything for the structure so no biggie.

Reactions: LL i am

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
That's the reinforcement plate-

and it looks better than mine.

The subframe's the cradle that supports the engine and attaches to the front control arms.

t
would use that

·
Registered
2002 330 Ci
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's the reinforcement plate-

and it looks better than mine.

The subframe's the cradle that supports the engine and attaches to the front control arms.

t
would use that
Ooops.... that's right. Reinforcement plate. I don't know why I thought subframe.

Thanks for the info.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,870 Posts
Ooops.... that's right. Reinforcement plate. I don't know why I thought subframe.
that’s no problem, knew exactly what you meant from photo. that’s the reason why I said “reinforcement plate” in the reply.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
For those that know, I'm basically building a new e46 330ci vert. As I disassemble and clean bits I find questionable bits.

So, the lady who had this car bottomed it out quite a bit and there's some indentations on the sub frame.

It came off really easy as it should and isn't warped. Here's the pics.

View attachment 924948
View attachment 924949
View attachment 924950
View attachment 924951
Yes. You can tell it's done a few belly flops. If you know a tig welder you could have it touched up along the edges. Put your mind at ease. It doesn't look like it was used as a jacking point at any time.

·
//Binary is in my DNA
2002 BMW 325i
4,254 Posts
Looks good to me.

Get the oil drain cover plate while you're at it. 51-61-7-199-687.
Thanks for posting the part number Spanner, always been wanting to get that part. Ordered on FCP for $9.95.

·
Registered
'02 330i 5-Speed
5,633 Posts
Thanks for posting the part number Spanner, always been wanting to get that part. Ordered on FCP for $9.95.
No problem. FYI, you'll have to have one of these clips on hand for the screw on the end of the panel to secure to:

07 14 6 981 767

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,870 Posts
for the oil door cover I also zip tied mine so it couldn’t be lost. if it ever got dislodged it would still be somewhat attached. same thing happens with the M3 ones. they mysteriously disappear even when all fasteners are used.

·
Registered
'02 330i 5-Speed
5,633 Posts
for the oil door cover I also zip tied mine so it couldn’t be lost. if it ever got dislodged it would still be somewhat attached. same thing happens with the M3 ones. they mysteriously disappear even when all fasteners are used.
Hmm...low-pressure area under the car sucks it off...?

Where do you zip-tie it? The slots at the back?

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,870 Posts
Hmm...low-pressure area under the car sucks it off...?
Where do you zip-tie it? The slots at the back?
yeah I don’t know if it’s flexes and comes off or water hits it hard enough? people use to say they thought their shops forgot to reinstall. I do my own oil and replace and have lost them.
Yep, drill two tiny holes and use zip ties like a hinge.

·
Registered
'02 330i 5-Speed
5,633 Posts

·
Registered
5,080 Posts

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,870 Posts
eBay:
or junkyard.
why not BMW dealerships, others shops like ECS or Mini dealership? they all show in stock.
FCP listing is for “OEM Supplier” back ordered. not through Genuine BMW.

·
Registered
'02 330i 5-Speed
5,633 Posts
^Also valid options. I just ordered a whole bunch of various body clips off eBay a while back and I knew it was a source. Wouldn't touch eBay otherwise if were a matter of something more critical to the car's function/appearance.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts