BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if you could launch using torque braking ... ie, holding the gas and the brake down at the same time.

AdamR

·
Registered
444 Posts
can you even do that without a torqueconverter? I would think that you really have a manual with an electronic clutch it is impossible.

·
Registered
28 Posts
set dsc off then shift select button over to last position set the shift lever forward and hold it...... then stomp on the gas. the rpms will go up then stay around 3500 and once you release the lever. this mode is called launch mode and is better that torque conv. stall which doesn't work on smg transmissions.

·
Registered
125 Posts
How about that guy that just said rev it up in neutral and drop it into drive?

I've been thinking about that... other than frying your clutch, it would seem somewhat effective? I mean come on, its the exact same gearbox as the manual, with the exact same pressureplate/clutch/flywheel... why not?

You have to modulate the throttle yourself and get used to the timing but...

Although someone in the thread said that is not possible to do with SMG, that the car won't shift out of neutral like that...

I dunno.

Back on thread so I'm not a total hijack... Torque braking (by the SMG's design) would not give you any noticeable improvement, and would probably just help your clutch to an early grave.

It would be just like trying to torque brake an manually clutched 6-speed:tsk:

·
Registered
444 Posts
Fraggle said:
How about that guy that just said rev it up in neutral and drop it into drive?

I've been thinking about that... other than frying your clutch, it would seem somewhat effective? I mean come on, its the exact same gearbox as the manual, with the exact same pressureplate/clutch/flywheel... why not?

You have to modulate the throttle yourself and get used to the timing but...

Although someone in the thread said that is not possible to do with SMG, that the car won't shift out of neutral like that...

I dunno.

Back on thread so I'm not a total hijack... Torque braking (by the SMG's design) would not give you any noticeable improvement, and would probably just help your clutch to an early grave.

It would be just like trying to torque brake an manually clutched 6-speed:tsk:
You can't brake torque a manual. plain and simple.

·
Banned
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I know ... this is called launch control. Also, the rpm is 1800 not 3500.

AdamR

M3S52 said:
set dsc off then shift select button over to last position set the shift lever forward and hold it...... then stomp on the gas. the rpms will go up then stay around 3500 and once you release the lever. this mode is called launch mode and is better that torque conv. stall which doesn't work on smg transmissions.

·
Registered
125 Posts
maisenhe said:

You can't brake torque a manual. plain and simple.
That's my point. Nothing prevents someone from heel/toe trying... Although on that point, I would hope that anyone that could heel/toe would know better :dunno:

·
Bimmerless
1,963 Posts
Ok guys. Picture this:

SMG car. You are in 1st gear at a stand still. its perfectly quiet all around you. You slowly press on the gas. you CAN HEAR the clutch engaging.

So...with bob's technique, revving in 0, then moving it to 1st (if its even possible), when does the clutch know WHEN to engage AND disengage itself? I might be wrong, but I dont see how its possible.

So my nontechnical nonprofessional point is this:
At a stand still, even though you are in 1st gear, I think its really in neutral, just up until the point you press the gas pedal. I think the electronic clutch actually engages and disengages that fast. That is the reason why its ok to sit at a stand still in gear, that is why while you are in gear, you dont roll forward (assuming you are on a level surface).

If bob's technique works, great, hope he is having fun. I just dont want to be infront of him.:tsk: :banghead: :cry:

·
933 Posts
I have revved the engine alittle in 0 to 1 gear with SMG with no issues..

I do this usually from going from Reverse to 1st gear.. So I think it's possible to rev the engine in 0 and slide the lever to 1st gear but I haven't tried it where it's revving past 2000 and i'm flooring when I put it in gear..

With Sport Mode and DSC off, I can get pretty damn good launches so I haven't felt the need to "drop" the clutch into gear while the engine speed is high.

·
Bimmerless
1,963 Posts
mattman said:
I have revved the engine alittle in 0 to 1 gear with SMG with no issues..

I do this usually from going from Reverse to 1st gear.. So I think it's possible to rev the engine in 0 and slide the lever to 1st gear but I haven't tried it where it's revving past 2000 and i'm flooring when I put it in gear..

With Sport Mode and DSC off, I can get pretty damn good launches so I haven't felt the need to "drop" the clutch into gear while the engine speed is high.
Coming from Reverse right into 1st I have done. but if you let it sit in Neutral for more than 2 seconds, it locks.

·
933 Posts
Anthony said:

Coming from Reverse right into 1st I have done. but if you let it sit in Neutral for more than 2 seconds, it locks.
Then you got 2 secs to get it revved up!! :thumbup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts