BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has happened to a bunch of people, but I haven't found a clear answer yet. My brake sensor light has been coming on and off intermittently while driving. Does this mean that my pads are wearing out? I just replaced the front ones and the rear pads look just as thick as my font ones.

Is this a computer error or a bad sensor or a different problem that I may have overlooked? I think that it's a sensor because the light goes away and comes back. Just wondering how I could fix this

·
Registered
525 Posts
I'd start by checking the sensor wire connection, not the end in the pad itself although you might want to have a look at that too. And as you probably know from just doing your fronts, the sensors are a cheap item to pick up if you need a new one for some reason.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I agree with checking the connection. I think an open connection of the sensor circuit lights the light. That's why just deleting/removing the sensor doesn't turn off the brake wear light.

When I did my brakes, getting the sensor connectors seated properly was one of the harder parts of the whole job.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I disnt even think of checking the connection. I was just going to buy a new sensor. But that light comes on when I pull the e brake, is it possible that there's a problem there?

Also why do I need these sensors? My other cars don't have them, is there a way to just bypass them? And not have the light go off...

·
Registered
781 Posts
The light is supposed to come on in red when you pull the e-brake, that is the word "BRAKE" comes on in red when you pull the e-brake. If it comes on in yellow, that means something else.

Many other cars have wear indicators on the pad which grind on the rotor and make a screeching noise when your pads are worn too low. I don't think most of the BMW E46 pads have this wear noisemaker so instead we have the wear sensor. If you remove the sensors, you will get the brake pad warning light, whatever that light is. I eventually zip-tied my brake pad wear sensors out of the way so I wouldn't have to remove them whenever I change pads or struts or RTABs or whatever. If you do this, be sure to check your brake pads periodically to make sure you don't run out of pad.

·
Registered
10,100 Posts
The Brake Wear Sensor should not come on then go off. There are OTHER brake issues that have a warning light, and that can come and go on a random schedule, but the Brake Wear indicator isn't among them.

Are you sure you are asking the right question? Perhaps you should post a pic of the indicator that you have...

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
Correct, the brake wear sensor should not come on and then go off. The brake wear sensor is normally shorted and once enough of it is worn away it becomes an open circuit. Once trigger the brake wear sensor will keep the light on until reset. To reset you need to turn the ignition to ON (without starting the engine) and wait for approx. 2 minutes.

I doubt this is your problem. It sound like the hand brake sensor is the problem.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright thanks guys, I'll check the connection, then change the sensor if that doesn't work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts