E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i just currently was working on my friends my GTI and i intalled a new intake for his car and we decided to buy this ducting tube and kind of do a DIY type of air ducting to increase the air flow to his intake. So we connected it to his modifice intake and rand it down to the bumper. has anyone tried doing this to their E46. I noticed there is a whole under where the ecis cai is, and i was wondering if anyones tried puting some ducting tube from there to the bumper or something, to increase the amound of cold air to the intake?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no i didnt mean to modify the actual intake, just get more air to it. pretty much hooking a hose up the bottom (where the heat shield ends there is a hole to the ground almost) and run that hose to the bumper?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well thats what im kind of asking, how much air does it get through the front part and part of stock ducting in the front?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
could anyone tell me where the dinan intake goes down to?
where does it take in air, near the fog light?????? I just went and looked at my car and i see a big opening but its all just closed off at the bottom...

·
TX Dinan 3
832 Posts
with the dinan, if you are looking at the car head on the intake is just to the left of the fog lamp

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
with the dinan, if you are looking at the car head on the intake is just to the left of the fog lamp
yeah but where does it get the air from? to the left of the Fog lamp is just a spot surounded by plastic or its the tube that goes to the breaks/wheel?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
is there a hole right there already or when intalling the dinan intake do you have to move some stuff around? and doesnt that take away the air that flows to the wheel/break?

·
Registered
16 Posts
on my '99 323i, I have a grill to the right of the brake duct which is blanked off - I removed the "webs" between the grill bits so that air could get in, and placed the mouth of my ducting behind this. I have been told that because the brake ducts don't actually connect to the dust shield on the back of the rotors that they are handy, but not brilliant for most street braking, so your choice, but you might be able to tap off the brake duct. bear in mind that there is also an air pickup to the back of the alternator running off that brake duct...

·
Registered
70 Posts
example

I made a ecis replica cai last year and was not really impressed with the results.(guessing about 5-6hp more) so I cut a 3 inch diameter hole in the bottom of the heat shield and used an aluminum dryer hose that connected from the hole in the heat shield to the opening in my front bumper, because I own a 2000 328 I had to cut a hole 325's and 330's already have an opening.

results:
I noticed an definite increase in power with my custom mod. I presently have a real ECIS intake and with one air inlet opening and must say that my custom intake gave more power in the high end >4K rpms. The only problem with my custom double inlet intake was that the idle became a bit rough sometimes. I suspect that it is because the air velocity coming from the aluminum hose (that went into the bottom of the heatshield) was different from the air velocity coming from the front (stock air inlet) so I actually was getting more air but more turbulent air. So I would definitely recommend it as a mod because you will notice a difference.
good luck

1 - 15 of 15 Posts