E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2003 M3 cabrio
1,061 Posts
I just wanted to know if you would be worried to drive it, because i leave in 1 week and thats obviously not enough time to do it
My 03 M3 vert has 117k on it…I would drive it 700 miles without worrying about it. I have not checked the VANOS or rod bearing issues (bearings done twice under warranty around 10-15k mi). it’s a road trip..not the Indy 500.

· Registered
2003 M3 cabrio
1,061 Posts
So the reason I am asking if it is blown up or not is because I am planning on doing a road trip up to Iowa here in about a week and it'll be a total of about 670-700 miles. I bought my car at 133,900 about 3 months ago, its at 134,800 and some change. In the 900 miles I have owned it I have done RB's, subframe reinforcement plates and all the bushings, all DIY and all that being said, how worried should I be about the Vanos as I have no proof of it being done. Or any other sort of maintenance that would probably be good to do soon.
You’re Much more likely to have overheat issues at high mileage. Check your fan viscous coupling, hoses, expansion tank, serp and AC belts if not radiator. Plugs and valve lash should have been done at 120k…
You say you have a week? At least pop the valve cover off and look at the VANOS tabs. If your tabs are intact and your VANOS isn't making rattling noises, then you should be fine to make your drive. If your valve cover gasket is in good shape, all you'll need to replace are some crush washers.

FYI: I had a broken tab at 120k. I caught it when I did a valve adjustment and have no idea how long it was broken... ¯\(ツ)
Its 700 miles. it's not Indy500. I wouldn't worry about it until the next major/valve adjust.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts