E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2001 M3
20 Posts
Unless the car sounds like loose nuts and bolts in an empty coffee can it is fine to go to Iowa. I bought a 150,000 mile M3 and took it to the track 4 times (to see where the faults were hiding) before getting a new VANOS. Afterward, a way smooother engine, better high end torque, punchy acceleration. Oooh, this is supposed to be how they run. Highest recommendation for the Dr. Vanos product and their excellent customer service on core and tool refunds.

· Registered
2001 M3
20 Posts
With the dr vanos, if i buy the whole dr vanos rebuilt unit, does it come with the hub as well or do I need to buy that separate. And is beisan good too? its much more affordable and I am not worried about rebuilding myself.
I went with the Dr. Vanos as it was recommended by several shops at the track. You don't have to add the Cryo or D300 as you can reuse the original hub but I was going to be into the job so I went for the D300. I watched a video too that explained the problem. The nubs break off over time if your are unlucky as they toggle under load back and forth under load and not. No knowledge of the Besian.

· Registered
2001 M3
20 Posts
FWIW, when looking at the "Big Three" I'd say rod bearings are the fault blown out of proportion. Provided you do regular oil changes and don't rev until engine is warm. Had my VANOS done in 2018.
Two big issues with the rod bearings is buying a high mileage car that may not have gotten the oil changes and you can go from, "Okay" to "OH Shittake Mushrooms," very quickly and ending up with very serious crankshaft repairs. The VANOS as time goes on, it is less smooth, less powerful, less free revving. Yes, they can detonate if the tabs on the exhaust hub both come off. The oil pump nut can be also a sudden disaster.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts