E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the reason I am asking if it is blown up or not is because I am planning on doing a road trip up to Iowa here in about a week and it'll be a total of about 670-700 miles. I bought my car at 133,900 about 3 months ago, its at 134,800 and some change. In the 900 miles I have owned it I have done RB's, subframe reinforcement plates and all the bushings, all DIY and all that being said, how worried should I be about the Vanos as I have no proof of it being done. Or any other sort of maintenance that would probably be good to do soon.

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I own two E46 M3s - one street, one track-only. The street one is single-owner, intensively maintained since purchase and had a VANOS failure (bolts backed out, threads damaged) at ~90K miles. The track car is 4th owner, prior owner claimed bulletproofing. I had it fully bulletproofed in Spring 2022 by the #1 guy because I like that peace of mind given I track up to 7 hours away. VANOS failures on the E46 M3 are reality.

You can do nothing and wait, or just get ahead of the known problems and have it bulletproofed with better than OE parts. Opinion: If you are waiting for something, know what specifically it is you're waiting for.
I just wanted to know if you would be worried to drive it, because i leave in 1 week and thats obviously not enough time to do it

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Unless the car sounds like loose nuts and bolts in an empty coffee can it is fine to go to Iowa. I bought a 150,000 mile M3 and took it to the track 4 times (to see where the faults were hiding) before getting a new VANOS. Afterward, a way smooother engine, better high end torque, punchy acceleration. Oooh, this is supposed to be how they run. Highest recommendation for the Dr. Vanos product and their excellent customer service on core and tool refunds.
With the dr vanos, if i buy the whole dr vanos rebuilt unit, does it come with the hub as well or do I need to buy that separate. And is beisan good too? its much more affordable and I am not worried about rebuilding myself.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts