E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Is the stock inlet the only source of air fo ecis intake?

1K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  Jlevi SW 
#1 ·
I was reading posts about filters and saw stock filter and cone filter is pretty much same. So is there any other air source other that stock inlet through front grille? if no then how does it make more hp

#3 ·
because the stock air box is so restrictive, the aftermarket unit sucks air in from the entire engine compartment, the bumper and headlight area. the stock filter is tiny, and cramped and cant allow for too much air to go through

#4 ·
Take apart your stock airbox and you'll see how there's room for improvement. The air passage makes a 90-degree downward bend while entering the airbox and then makes a U-turn back up before passing thru the filter. The ECIS eliminates this convolution.

BTW, typically the stock filter element is not the bottleneck.

#8 ·
gokcer said:
Is there any performance difference between ECIS style under hood or ones that go down near the bumper

The only difference i know of between the 2 (not performance diff)
is the dinan intake being down low near the bumper has a higher chance of sucking in water. I think this can be prevented with another filter which only allow air thru.

Other than that and the price i dont know any other difference
between the 2. The ecis would be a much easier install as well.

#10 ·
itchyNscratchy said:
The only difference i know of between the 2 (not performance diff)
is the dinan intake being down low near the bumper has a higher chance of sucking in water. I think this can be prevented with another filter which only allow air thru.

Or it could be prevented by not being so stupid as to drive thru 2 feet of water!

#13 ·
ECIS gets air from retained stock inlet feed thru their sealed baffle/heatshield, from the stock skinny rectangular duct inboard of the headlight, and from whatever else slips through the *****s in this area. No hot engine air is taken in and Conforti has the same layout tho their design locates the MAF within the baffle so it is also protected from engine heat and in this it should be superior to the ECIS by a fraction of a horsepower? Dinan/Benfer ducting is too much to deal with at filter service time and also may probably add a fraction of a horsepower?

#14 ·
B said:
That's useless... comparing dynos from two different cars, on different days, in different places, with different setups, on different dynos is about as accurate as me randomly pulling numbers of out a hat!
I agree that there are many variables, but as long as the before-and-after dyno conditions are similar in each instance, the delta values can still make meaningful comparisons. It would be such a cop-out to discredit dyno results completely just b/c there are variables involved.

#16 ·
Jspeed said:

I agree that there are many variables, but as long as the before-and-after dyno conditions are similar in each instance, the delta values can still make meaningful comparisons. It would be such a cop-out to discredit dyno results completely just b/c there are variables involved.

so you just assume before-and-after dyno conditions would be similar? you don't expect companies to use the variables in their favor? get real...

dyno testing OBD-II equipped cars is not that accurate of a measurement to begin with. If you ran your car twice in a row, you could get runs that vary from 3-5 hp/tq difference... without changing anything!

I'm just trying to help you all not go by the marketing hype...

#18 ·
B said:
so you just assume before-and-after dyno conditions would be similar? you don't expect companies to use the variables in their favor? get real...

dyno testing OBD-II equipped cars is not that accurate of a measurement to begin with. If you ran your car twice in a row, you could get runs that vary from 3-5 hp/tq difference... without changing anything!

I'm just trying to help you all not go by the marketing hype...
Don't worry, I'm entirely aware of that. Because of the adaptive nature of the ECU, a mildly-driven car can gain a few HP from successive dyno runs. I have a certain amount of faith in ECIS' posted dyno's b/c it's pretty consistent from other independently obtained results.

My favorite is actually the Conforti, and here's a dyno done by the owner of the car.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=91237

#19 ·
I like my ECIS... I don't understand why it bends away from where the air comes in, but I think that's because that way the airflow is "straightened" when it goes into the engine... I read the thing on the ECIS site and the back of the K&N and it made a lot of sense... I mean either way the air is going in, and i think it's better if the engine sucks it in instead of it being BLOWN into the filter all scrambled up... u know what i mean.... I'm happy with my ECIS.. Decent power gain, UNREAL sound, and I prefer it for many reasons over an in-bumper intake... especially install..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.