BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok well I gave my car to Irvine BMW 2 days ago for a simple oil change and now it has come to a total of $2068!!!!

They are telling me that i need the following changed and or replaced. I don't know if they are over charging me or what this is my first experience at the dealership.
The following prices includes both parts and labor.

Wiring issue secondary air pump wire repair and new plug $220

Fuel door actuator. $302

Leaking valve cover gasket $458

Headliner slider clips (moon roof slider) $235

Cooling Flush $199

Brake fluid flush $182

Fuel injector cleaning $195

Oil Service $277

Is anything a stray? They charge $140 an hour for labor is that good or bad? Thanks for all your help guys. There goes my most of my modding money.:cry:

·
Registered
440 Posts
i think thats a bit expensive. i think you should go to a mechanic that deals with only german cars, like mb, audi, and bmw. they usually charge somewere around 85 an hour, and do the same job quality.

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the advice:) The reason i wanted to go to the dealership is my mechanic. He is a great guy, very knowledgeable, tracks all the time. He is like an uncle to me, however he specializes more in the older style bmw's like the e36. He doesn't know as much on our cars, and seems everytime i bring it in something else pops up which seems related and I don't want to call him on it. He is getting older i believe he is in his 70's, so his work seems to be declining in quality. Any advice is still welcome.:bow:

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
When in doubt... the stealership is screwing you!

OIL CHANGE FOR $277, COOLING FLUSH $200, BRAKE FLUSH $182, FUEL INJECTOR $195, SUNROOF CLIPS $235 :banghead: :wowee:

I will fly out to your house and do it for you, for that price.

I changed my oil on my own for $50 last time ($65 for replacing air/cabin filter as well), coolant change was $20 and Fuel Injector $10.

Just for a comparison: I took my car to have the oil service done at United BMW near me. The total was only $80.

Dear GOD, that was a close one. Thankfully you asked the board before you listened to that crap.

These are all REALLY easy things to do yourself. I would not go back to that dealership, those are retardedly expensive rates.

Search the forum, you will figure out how to do these things on your own, saving you a bundle. Otherwise find an independent BMW mechanic that you can trust, AVOID the dealership if you are out of warranty!

No wonder people think BMWs are so damn expensive to maintain...

·
Registered
7,029 Posts
I'm sure they're not lying to you about all that's wrong, and everything (price-wise) looks about right for a stealership. So your next move should be to take it to a local mechanic with all that you know and have them do all the work for you (unless you do it all yourself). I have yet to try one locally (as I've done almost everything myself thusfar), but I hear good things about Bullet Performance in Costa Mesa. I plan on checking them out in a couple months for some things :4ngie:

·
Registered
440 Posts
i bet you can bargain with them, tell them if you do it then you want them to fill up your gas tank, lmao... no really this is a rip. i get my oil serviced for free!. lol. go to a lube shop and tell them you need an oil change and oil filter change it wont cost you more than 70 bucks for the synthetic oil.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
i bet you can bargain with them, tell them if you do it then you want them to fill up your gas tank, lmao... no really this is a rip. i get my oil serviced for free!. lol. go to a lube shop and tell them you need an oil change and oil filter change it wont cost you more than 70 bucks for the synthetic oil.
It's cause you have a warranty :shhh:

I would avoid those quick change lube shops, as I have heard many horror stories about stripping bolts, not replacing filter, and using the wrong fluid. Do yourself and your car a favor and find someone who knows a bmw.

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
235 for the sunroof clips, is that the clip that connects the roof to the slider, cos ours just recently died:( damn it.. lol

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
You can cut two of the items drasticly by using one of those quick lube places. A lot of people who wouldn't suggest it but I used Jiffy Lube ALL THE TIME with no problems at all for my 330.

I get a coolant flush with Prestone antifreeze: ($65)
Oil (Synthetic) & filter change ($85)

They have the SAME MACHINE that is used by the dealership for the coolant flush. I get my brake fluid flushed once every year for $80 at a local autorepair store. I provide them with a big bottle of Vavoline Synthetic Dot 4 brake fluid. You can cut cost by using a reputable independent shop.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
You can cut two of the items drasticly by using one of those quick lube places. A lot of people who wouldn't suggest it but I used Jiffy Lube ALL THE TIME with no problems at all for my 330.

I get a coolant flush with Prestone antifreeze: ($65)
Oil (Synthetic) & filter change ($85)

They have the SAME MACHINE that is used by the dealership for the coolant flush. I get my brake fluid flushed once every year for $80 at a local autorepair store. I provide them with a big bottle of Vavoline Synthetic Dot 4 brake fluid. You can cut cost by using a reputable independent shop.
You are gettin phosphate-free prestone antifreeze, correct?

I would be VERY weary of using a quick lube place. Service quality can vary widely. Glad you found a good one though!

·
Registered
819 Posts
A friend of mine works at EZLube in Culver City, CA. I still won't bring my car there lol. Esp after all the "stories" he's told me.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts