BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've come a long ways, on trying to find out exactly what the problem was with my steering. After long hours of banging my head trying to figure out what it was, i took my car to a local mechanic (who specializes in BMW).
He found that the pinion shaft was totally lose on the rack, which was the main cause to all the play.

My question is...
Is this part serviceable?
From what my mechanic told me, it seemed like it was...but I wonder if he's gonna just rebuild it from an old one or something. Cause I can't find a partno for just the shaft, only found steering rack assembly.

His plan is to replace just the shaft, and it should take most play away. If anyone is wondering, that the rack might be worn out as well, I've tried steering all the way to the left...and all the way to the right...and center...and the amount of play seems to be the same...so I'm guessing the rack isn't in too bad of shape.

He hasn't given me a price yet (I've been waiting for his quote for over 2 weeks now...), but I'm guessing it's gonna be scary. lol.

Any help/opinions as to what to do, are very much appreciated.

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
No, that shaft is not serviceable. You can get a remanufactured one, although from personal experience I would advise you to look for a low mileage one from the breakers. It's relatively easy to replace if you have basic diy skills and some tools and the rack shouldn't cost more than $150. Plus, you have the chance to replace it with an M-Sport one :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts