E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
if you're a normal JOE, yes, if you're an audio fan who had a system in your car now, no... it cannot handle anything if u really want to jam a tune.

·
Registered
836 Posts
dude i dont see the fuss about hk it's a kick ass system get it. Why would you want to go and spend like a 1000 bucks on a system. Trust me i play all those technos and trances with the bass and it kicks azz! Everyone is amazed that it bumps like this.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I have the standard. My friend has the HK. I didn't notice the difference.

Thus, I would say no.

But everyone has different ears and in the end, that's what's it all about.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Why trust anyone's opinion other than your own? Take your favorite CD over to a dealer, and try it out in cars with and without the HK upgrade. I bought the upgrade. If, for instance, you like bass that will make your neighbors' furniture rattle, you'd be better off with something else.

·
Registered
66 Posts
As you can see there are differing opinions on this issue.

If you're used to hearing music with a subwoofer, then the HK system is going to be a disappointment... there's no true bottom end at all. The HK subs have plenty of mid-bass, but that's a rather unpleasant frequency and turning it up just makes the overall sound muddy. The 'staging' is also too far back in the car, and you get very little high end in front, even with the treble turned up.

There is no other imported 30k+ car with a stereo upgrade that's this poor, and I don't know how BMW gets away with it.

On the other hand, if you're not used to an audio system with a sub, and you listen to music at relatively low volumes, the HK system is probably going to be satisfactory.

·
Registered
124 Posts
ilovebmw said:
dude i dont see the fuss about hk it's a kick ass system get it. Why would you want to go and spend like a 1000 bucks on a system. Trust me i play all those technos and trances with the bass and it kicks azz! Everyone is amazed that it bumps like this.
It's obvious that you have not heard a good custom system. A good custom system for a BMW is around 2 to 3000 bucks and it has to be install by professional audio installer to make sure everything fit right, most components have to be custom made to fit perfect. Techno and trance music don't have good bass... try some hip hop if you want to test your system.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I got it and it's fine. I've always spent big$$ on systems, ripped out back seats, had custom enclosures built, etc...

I think the biggest prob in going aftermarket is the f%#$ BMW dash. I've seen maybe 2 installs on this board that had some slick custom faceplates for the head unit that looked awesome, else a standard din looks like a ****-ass install....ruins the interior imho.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
It's only worth it if you don't want to go aftermarket.

Sounds much better then stock, esp if you play music with bass.

HK won't be as good as an aftermarket system.

·
[email protected] mph 1/4...Not bad!
800 Posts
It all depends on your priorities. If you're an audiofile than HK probably won't cut it. If you're the type to pull up to a stoplight and try to turn heads by bumpin' you music then HK won't do it for you either. You can put your music at a moderately high level, open the windows and walk about 20" away from your car and you'll barely hear it, but if you get back in you'll see how loud it is inside of the car.

But if you listen to your music at 70% of max volume or lower you'll be fine. Just go to the dealer and sit in a car with HK and play with the DSP button (the one with the horn on it). You will then see the difference between HK and standard.

EDIT: also it depends if you like the look of an aftermarket head unit messing up the lines of your dash. All aftermarket units are offset and leave a bigger space on the passenger side of the unit. Ruins the looks of the dash if you ask me, but to each his own. Also any headunits with a screen will block the ac vents when open. But if these things don't bother you than I guess its not an issue.

·
Registered
73 Posts
you HK blaster guys are all full of crap.

i have the HK in my 330ci, I put 2 x 12" kicker subs with a 600.1 amp in the trunk, and ive had person after person (after person) listen to my stereo and swear up and down its the best one they've ever heard.

im not a super stereo guy, but i have paid $1000+ in my last 2 vehicles, and listened to alot of stereos in my day, and only one guys stereo i ever heard sounded better and he told me he spent $3500 on it.

so for $675 its a great deal in my opinion.

·
Registered
167 Posts
if you care a lot about stereo, then that 675 will be wasted. all my friends have their HK sitting somewhere in the garage after finding them to be horrible. but if you just want nice sound and some bass, it's the cheapest and easiest way to get a little more from the stock system..

·
Registered
363 Posts
for everyday driving HK is just awesome...i remember hearing it in my friends 328ci when i had my grand am and I just thought that it was the best sounding stock system on the market... the bass was nice and crisp-no distortion and at high volumes it was very solid....thats why i got HK when i got my 330...i love it...and everyone who sits in my car always compliments on it "wow the bass is so nice"...and besides HK doesnt hurt your ears like aftermarket.....i cant stand the punding of aftermarket subs on the ears after like 30-40 min....very bad...i'm not in it to win shows or anything...i just enjoy trance and dance music and HK is perfect....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts