E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the gas price are outrageous these days...........would taking out the spare to reduce some weight be a good idea ..........or is the safety issue more important?...........but i mean there is no spare in M3's so does that mean that normal coupes are slightly stronger 'cause of the spare?

·
Registered
755 Posts
the spare is supposed to be absorb impact, should you ever get into rear end accident. - or at least thats what I've concluded to.

I've been wondering about this myself, but to put in a stereo set up, not for lightweight. I'm hesitant about taking it out for safety issues.

Anyhow, I'd say leave it in, and dont carry fat people around in your car. :eeps:

·
Registered
946 Posts
if you take it out and get a flat, you'll need a tow truck and that will negate the $$ you may have saved...

not to mention that amount will be so minimal. just leave it in, and drive less-agressively...leave your house earlier to avoid stop-and-go traffic (a mpg killer)...keep your tires inflated to the proper pressure...keep your air filter clean...these are a few (very common) ways to get the best gas mileage.

forget the spare idea.
good luck

·
Registered
874 Posts
What, I have a spare? OH....is that what that huge space in the trunk is for? I thought the factory was being nice and giving us a free subwoofer enclosure with the purchase of a vehicle...my those subs fit so nice down there :D

·
Registered
317 Posts
I took it out, so it compensates for the extra weight om my system :)
flat tire ? Just a phonecall ... hehe

·
St. Louis BMW Fanatic
6,696 Posts
Not a good idea.

The spare tire is part of your car's weight balance and it plays a role in rear impact protection.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Horrible Idea. There are heaps of other places to install a sub. Don't blow the important parts of the car for ICE installs.

·
Addicted to Autocross
1,154 Posts
only when you're racing...legally that is. In that case, everything that can be removed should be, including the spare, the jack, the tools, hell...even the window washer fluid could be drained. Out on the street? Nah, I think I'd rather have the spare there just in case.

·
Doesn't like PMs...Email me
2,278 Posts
When my friend went racing w/ his 325, he went as far as to lift out the back seats, remove the headrest, and empty his glove compartment. So yeh, my suggestion is to remove the seats and drive around town. They weight about the same amount. :)

Shinobi said:
only when you're racing...legally that is. In that case, everything that can be removed should be, including the spare, the jack, the tools, hell...even the window washer fluid could be drained. Out on the street? Nah, I think I'd rather have the spare there just in case.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Shinobi said:
So is it OK to take out the spare when at the track? I was thinking about trying that next time, just for weight savings. But I don't want to mess with the balance of the car. But maybe balance isn't really that important? Idunno...

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
7,683 Posts
Take it out! In the summer I always have it out, just picked up the m mobility kit for a little extra safety. When I go autoXing I defiantly pull the rear seat that is about 60lbs if you have folding.

Tim

·
Manwhore
2,517 Posts
well if you dont have a system, then leave it in. Dont forget you got the 50/50 weight with that spare in the car. Main reason why i took it out is cuz i wanted to keep it as close to 50/50 as i could with having a system.

Also anytime i get a flat, it happens at my house in the garage. So no biggie. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts