BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if snow is bad for your car (paint and other stuff)? Lets say that you left you car out and it was covered in snow for days, is this "bad" in any way?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
StreetTrixE4six said:
not really, it's the salt and sand that they put down that hurts the paint.
Yeah, snow is just water. Now salt, sand, cyniders....ehhh watch out paint:eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Normally, how quickly do they get the roads cleared up after a snowfall in New York and New Jersey?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Okay, here's the problem with leaving your car covered in snow for days. After awhile the snow compacts onto itself and slowly goes from the fluffy white stuff to hard and almost ice-like. The snow will then start to slide off your car. This is where you can get scratches.:cry:

Or, when you clear the snow off your car you could also cause scratching, especially if it's been sitting for awhile and has hardened. Ouch!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
158 Posts
Kain said:
Normally, how quickly do they get the roads cleared up after a snowfall in New York and New Jersey?
Depends on where you live. If you live in NYC(ie midtown manhattan), fairly quickly.. the snow was plowed within a day or so.

If you live the Bronx in some really crappy neighborhood, probably the following week.

Snow isn't exactly just water. It may also contain chemicals that can degrade your paint, but waxing it often so prevent any damage.
 

·
E46Fanatic
Joined
·
3,128 Posts
Kain said:
Normally, how quickly do they get the roads cleared up after a snowfall in New York and New Jersey?
Long Island gets cleared up pretty quickly. I was able to use my car again Monday which is not bad considering it was snowing into sunday morning.
 

·
E46Fanatic
Joined
·
3,128 Posts
StreetTrixE4six said:


Long Island gets cleared up pretty quickly. I was able to use my car again Monday which is not bad considering it was snowing into sunday morning.
just so you know, the roads have to be pretty much completely snow/ice free in order for me to use my car. i'm running on high performance tires still
 

·
F22C1
Joined
·
976 Posts
04m3blur said:
Okay, here's the problem with leaving your car covered in snow for days. After awhile the snow compacts onto itself and slowly goes from the fluffy white stuff to hard and almost ice-like. The snow will then start to slide off your car. This is where you can get scratches.:cry:

Or, when you clear the snow off your car you could also cause scratching, especially if it's been sitting for awhile and has hardened. Ouch!
i always thought the ice wouldnt scratch the paint because for it to slide off there would have to be a thin sheet of water in between as a lubricant. for example like ice skating. you are not skating on the ice but the thin water on top of it. maybe im wrong...
 

·
BMW Land Barge
Joined
·
1,378 Posts
There certainly has to be a thin layer of water under MOST of the ice sheet. Unfortunately, any imperfects in the ice sheet can still drag on your paint job and scratch it up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,581 Posts
if you still is snow/ice on the sides. DONT drive your car.
Seriously, you are going to regret it.
Check out what happened to my sh*T

and btw. Major Bloomberg is whack! cheap mofo who made cutback on the street cleaners/snow plowers/recycle/garbage!
i know when election time comes, IM GOING TO VOTE this time!
Clinton for Major!

<IMG SRC="http://24.90.216.195/crackundertray.jpg">
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top