E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving home tonight, then all of a sudden I noticed a groaning noise when I got to a red light. I didn't think much of it, and kept going - then I changed lanes and heard a grinding-like-groan. Now as soon as I even touch my wheel basically it sounds like a grinding-groan.

I had my dad hold the power-steering reservoir when I turned the wheel and he told me he felt a vibration.

When I start the car I can hear a little groan, too. Also, the fluid inside the reservoir was opaque brown :S

Questions:
- Is it the power steering pump?
- Can I drive this to the shop without damaging anything else?

·
Registered
25,488 Posts
Sounds like the power steering pump and it also sounds like it is already broken if things suddenly got much worse. You would probably be fine driving to a shop, just be careful.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
You need fluid...

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Use a turkey baster to draw out the ATF in the reservoir. It's probably black. I replaced it with new ATF (Redline D4 ATF). It's possible that after a few drain and refills the pump and hoses with be cleaned and refreshed. If the noises continue, take it in.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I had it checked out by a friends' friend who works at a dealership, the technician believes it's a high-pressure line that feeds the fluid to the rack; there's a filter in this line that might be clogged, so the pump is trying to force the fluids though the pipe and the vibration I'm feeling/hearing is the line itself.

The dealership I went to did not have any service openings for a few weeks, so I'm going to another dealer on Monday to have it done. Labour, parts, and taxes come to $293.xx Canadian, with a car I can use for the day. Is this a decent price?

I have no idea the part # and how much this line actually costs, so if someone can provide me insight that would be amazing.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
i just had my high pressure line fixed, same symptoms as you... and now they are gone! (thank god)

·
Registered
2005 330i manual transmission performance package
3,880 Posts
You need fluid...
+1. Your pump may still be alright. Check the powersteering fluid level first. If it is much lower than the mark, the pump will struggle when the wheel is turned vigorously.
If the level is low indeed, add AFT oil to the powersteering reservoir. If the problem is not solved, then you may start thinking about replacing the pump.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts