BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hy guys...
so ive been hearing a weird noise on my rear axel, so today i got under the car to check for subframe damage, and find that my subframe is perfectly fine, what has gone bad is my differential....
it is leaking oil....
so what now??? is it broken???
jorge saca

·
Registered
440 Posts
i wish i can help you, my rear diff went... covered under warranty though. put it this way... it can be a posotive thing. Heres your chance to upgrade to a different gear ratio..

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Can't tell from here. Just because the diff is leaking doesn't mean the diff is broken. I see you are sc'd. Could be anything in the drive train or diff mounts causing the noise.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can't tell from here. Just because the diff is leaking doesn't mean the diff is broken. I see you are sc'd. Could be anything in the drive train or diff mounts causing the noise.
but what could be causing the leak???
jorge saca

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
You can try refilling with gear oil and see it it sounds okay after that. Otherwise... just pickup a used diff. they're fairly cheap.

·
Registered
850 Posts
It also depends on where it's leaking from. If it the Gasket, that is easy to replace (although you'd still have to drop the Differential for easy access). If its leaking from the input/output shaft(s), it gets more cumbersome...

What I would do if I were you...
1. I'd drain the gearoil out of it {MEASURE HOW MUCH COMES OUT (full = 0.95 Quarts)}
2. Clean the unit out (removing all traces of the leaked Gearoil)
3. Refill with 75-90 Mobile Synthetic or Redline ($9 - $13 depending on where you get it).
4. Test drive it to see if the noise is still there and to determine where it's leaking from.

Good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts