·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
**UPDATED**

Vehicle: 2004, BMW, 330I, 330I /L6_3.0L_M54
Miles: 77k
>Serpentine Belt- CONTINENTAL / BMW067965
(Alternator, Water Pump & Power Steering)

>Serpentine Belt- Contitech / 4PK0865
(Ribbed Drive Belt; AC Compressor)

>Water Pump- GRAF / BMW035276

>Water Pump Pulley- BMW / 11511436590
(132mm; Original Plastic Version)

>Coolant Hose- CRP / BMW00927
(Expansion Tank To Coolant Pipe)

>Thermostat- WAHLER / BMW067966

>Accessory Belt Tensioner Pulley/Roller- INA / 11281748131
(Alternator and/or AC Belt)

>Accessory Belt Tensioner Pulley/Roller- BMW / 11281727159
(Protective Cap for Tensioner Pulley)

>Idler Pulley/Roller;
(Water Pump/Alternator; Offset Mounting)- INA / 11281738605

>Idler Pulley/Roller; Water Pump/Alternator- BMW / 11281730349
(Offset Mounting; Protective Cap for Deflection Pulley)

>Expansion Tank/Coolant Reservoir- URO / 17137787039

>Radiator Hose- CRP / 11531436408
(Lower to Thermostat Housing with Temperature Sensor Fitting)

>Radiator Hose- CRP / 17127510952
(Upper Radiator to Thermostat Housing)

I cannot find "Brass bolt for upper radiator hose"
and "Lower radiator hose thermostat"

Are the Pulley Caps necessary? or are they reusable?

Am I complete?

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I'm not sure what all you've got tee'd up there (what do you mean a Meyle belt tensioner pulley? Is that just the pulley or the entire tensioner?). Here's what I replaced when I refreshed my system last year:

Expansion tank (not on your list, should be the first thing you change, recommend BMW tank)
Upper radiator hose
Brass bolt for upper radiator hose
Lower radiator hose
Lower radiator hose thermostat
Water pump (Stewart)
Thermostat (Wahler)
Both belts (what is Bando Toyo? Stick with Contintental/CRP)
Replaced primary mechanical tensioner with hydraulic tensioner
Idler pulley
a/c tensioner pulley (not the entire tensioner) (Dayco 89133)
Water pump pulley (aluminum, tough to find a stock-sized aluminum replacement)

You also need the engine crush washer (goes on the bolt that drains the engine block) if you drain the system. 1 gallon of anti-freeze, and optionally 1 gallon of distilled water (as opposed to tap water). autohausaz.com is a good source for parts, and sponsor ebmwparts.com or non-sponsor bmwmercedesparts.com are both good discounting BMW dealer sources.

And yes you can reuse the bolts.

Make sure you know how to bleed the system of air when you're done. Otherwise you'll overheat.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure what all you've got tee'd up there (what do you mean a Meyle belt tensioner pulley? Is that just the pulley or the entire tensioner?). Here's what I replaced when I refreshed my system last year:

Expansion tank (not on your list, should be the first thing you change, recommend BMW tank)
Upper radiator hose
Brass bolt for upper radiator hose
Lower radiator hose
Lower radiator hose thermostat
Water pump (Stewart)
Thermostat (Wahler)
Both belts (what is Bando Toyo? Stick with Contintental/CRP)
Replaced primary mechanical tensioner with hydraulic tensioner
Idler pulley
a/c tensioner pulley (not the entire tensioner) (Dayco 89133)
Water pump pulley (aluminum, tough to find a stock-sized aluminum replacement)

You also need the engine crush washer (goes on the bolt that drains the engine block) if you drain the system. 1 gallon of anti-freeze, and optionally 1 gallon of distilled water (as opposed to tap water). autohausaz.com is a good source for parts, and sponsor ebmwparts.com or non-sponsor bmwmercedesparts.com are both good discounting BMW dealer sources.

And yes you can reuse the bolts.

Make sure you know how to bleed the system of air when you're done. Otherwise you'll overheat.
The tensioner mentioned is the hydraulic tensioner and the pulleys that go to them are separate that is why they are listed separately. I just got these parts from one website so I was limited to the brands but basically just wanted to get approval of the items i was looking to get. I was hoping I could just basically do the pulleys, water-pump and belts but now after some research there seems to be a lot more important things to do as well.

:facepalm:

But all this should be done at this time correct? I am at 77k and nothing is wrong with my car but I am paranoid and don't want to have my car breaking down on me.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I updated mine so I would have confidence something cooling-related wouldn't cause issues. First to upgrade is the expansion tank, without fail. After that it's really general maintenance for the other components.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I updated mine so I would have confidence something cooling-related wouldn't cause issues. First to upgrade is the expansion tank, without fail. After that it's really general maintenance for the other components.
Thanks Sansho I really appreciate your help. Im going to start gathering parts now... i'll definitely use the websites you suggested as well. I shouldnt cut any corners. BTW where did you get the aluminium water pump pulley? BTW may i ask at what mileage did you do your cooling overhaul?

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I got the aluminum water pump pulley from BMPDesign.com, where they are currently backordered. Cooling system overhaul was done around 55K miles. The 325i had spent it's first 9 years in Florida and Texas, and I figured that probably put some stress on the cooling system. Anyhow, I know I'm good to at least 100K miles. Probably replace the expansion tank, hoses, maybe thermostat, and any pulleys gone bad then. The Stewart water pump is guaranteed for life.

33,616 Posts
Sansho brought up a good one... Its important not to forget the drain plug crush washer.

The list looks pretty good. Where are you getting these parts from? And what sort of approach are you trying to take? Do you want to be very thorough or are you trying to be a cheap ass?

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sansho brought up a good one... Its important not to forget the drain plug crush washer.

The list looks pretty good. Where are you getting these parts from? And what sort of approach are you trying to take? Do you want to be very thorough or are you trying to be a cheap ass?
Drew, sorry about the duplicate thread. I will talk to you via "Regional" and PM. But cheap ass is ideal. LOL

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I cannot find "Brass bolt for upper radiator hose"
and "Lower radiator hose thermostat"

Are the Pulley Caps necessary? or are they reusable?
Brass bolt for the upper radiator hose isn't necessary, I just like it over the plastic one that comes standard in the hose. Several places sell it, I think I got it from autohausaz.com

Lower radiator hose thermostat, also called temperature sensor, is BMW part 13621433077.

Pulley caps help keep dust out and they are reusable.

I would strongly recommend the BMW expansion tank (BMW parts have a 2 year warranty). This is a part subject to alot of stress, and by my way of personal experience, the original tank on my 325i lasted 9 years. Some non-BMW tanks have blown up after a year. The BMW tank will run you around $70-$75 from a discounting dealer.

Forgot to include on the list a new cap for the expansion tank. And if you have an automatic transmission, there's a thermostat at the bottom of the expansion tank. They can break when replacing the tank, so have a replacement on hand. BMW part number is 17111437362.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts