BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this at the fest but noone has responded. I have this weird situation that happens when I attempt any sort of "spirited" launch.

What happens essentially is that I’ll take the revs to about 2500 (only for a split second) and then simultaneously floor it while releasing the clutch. Now, the thing that happens is that the rpm’s will rise but the car won’t really go anywhere (it will, but not like you would expect it to). I know I'm not peeling out because I don’t hear any screeching tires. DSC is completely off and after a second or so, the wheels seem to catch and the car will jump forward and depending on the rpm's that the car "catches up", the wheels will chirp.

Is my clutch slipping? and if so, why would this happen? I DO NOT abuse my car as far as dumping the clutch goes. I think I’ve done it a total of 3 times in two years (I've owned the car for almost two years). Also, I’ve heard that people have reported defects in clutches? Anyone know the details of those?

I ask because if the clutch is in fact slipping (or more so than normal), I need to take it to the dealer with some knowledge so as to not be stuck with a non warranted repair…

If it’s normal, then call me a newbie.

·
booo for body roll.
3,420 Posts
it's normal, newbie ;)

my clutch does that occasionally. i don't think 325/330 have a cdv, but the clutch does not fully engage sometimes. i know there are many owners with the same problems.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah man, that's exactly what it seems like (clutch not fully engaged).

thanks for the post bro, i was a bit nervous about it. seems strange that it would happen but i know squat about cars (time to find out what a cdv is).

i'm getting there though...every little bit helps :thumbup:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mine varies a bit. sometimes it catches fully, sometimes it doesn't. i don't do it frequently enough to know the percentages of full engage vs not however...or what factors contribute to it

·
99% Stock
1,129 Posts
Clutch slipping is when your foot is completely off the pedal but it still doesn't catch, kinda like your still riding it when youre not? Correct?

·
E46Fanatic
3,121 Posts
mine used to catch immediately and would leave a cloud of smoke behind me. not anymore though. i have to take it to BMW and have them look at it.

·
E46Fanatic
3,121 Posts
reddevil7nine said:
StreetTrixE4six, what did they say and what did you say to them?
haven't brought it in yet. still deciding on software. if i go w/ dinan, i want it done as they check/replace the clutch.

·
927 Posts
There's a CLUTCH PLATE that presses against the Flywheel that causes the car to turn the transmission shaft.. to the transmission and out the drive shaft to the rear differential.. If you aren't "catching" right at 2500, there may be some slippage.. If it's a new car, you may have some contamination on the plate surface.

To Test: Put you car into 4 or 5th gear and drive it from a slow speed (like 20 mph). If you slowly gas it and see the RPMs climb and don't see any acceleration, then you have a slipping clutch. Do you smell something burning after you try to do a clutch drop? Do you "ride" you clutch alot during stop and go traffic?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i don't ride my clutch ever. i'm not usually in stop and go traffic either. there is no smell which is why i'm somewhat confused. this morning i tried from a dead stop to go with the car in 3rd gear and did so w/o any trouble. not sure about the rpm's climbing first or not, didn't pay attention to that. i'll have to try that this evening.

·
Registered
440 Posts
When you turn DSC off are you just pressing the button to turn it off? I've found that I can get much better launches when I press and hold the DSC button for about 4 seconds to allow for the DSC light to come on and the yellow Brake light to come on as well.

I get no delay with a launch doing it this way. Also I can peel and drift no problems. But you may already be doing this and I could be stating the obvious ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
dsc is fully disengaged (dsc light and brake light are on). i learned the hard way with that and did indeed burn the clutch once. it's just the strangest thing...happens every one and a while.

someone posted this link on bimmerfest where i posted a thread with the same question:
UUC Tech Info

·
Registered
292 Posts
I had the same problem...

My car used to do that to, and it really ticked me off. Most likely the problem is that your clutch is slipping, your flywheel may be burnt out, and also you may need a new Guibo. Take it to your local BMW dealership, they'll probably explain the problem better than me, and fix everything if it's still under warranty.
Good luck
:thumbup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts