BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes I leave the car in neutral when driving in a slope or if there's a red light in front.. i just tend to leave the car rolling in neutral... my dad once said that it's unsafe and you won't be able to break or something like that... is that true?

·
needs a new sig...
4,647 Posts
i dont see how it woulld effect the car in anyway other then premature brake pad wear because you will be using your brakes more to stop the vechicle instead of allowing the enginge to do some of the braking for you.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Coasting in neutral at high speeds or for long durations might be bad for your tranny because while in neutral your gears are stationary and will not sling oil around the tranny case for lubrication. This could damage your transmission mainshaft/primary shaft. :dunno:

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
I dont see any reason why it would be unsafe. If gears are stationery; then they dont need to be lubricated. We have hydrolic brakes so neutral has nothing to do with braking.
If you were driving a truck which uses air brakes and needs certain air pressure to operate then it would be a problem. I think air tanks are charged by air pump running of the engine. If the engine is at idle while in nutral, air pump might not pump enough air to keep the tank pressurized and you loose brakes. But in a modern car that is not a problem.

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
10,883 Posts
The only think I can think of is that the manual says not to coast in neutral with the clutch out. My only guess is that the speed difference between the two shafts in the tranny could cause excessive heat...but I am not sure. Either way I cannot see how it would affect breaking. I can be unsafe because you have no way of accelerating out of trouble if you are in neutral with the clutch out but that is a little extreme if you ask me.

Tim

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
it's not bad to just cruise to a stop when u see a red comming up, but i wouldn't do it for a long period of time and then engage gear ..

·
Registered
718 Posts
gokcer said:
I dont see any reason why it would be unsafe. If gears are stationery; then they dont need to be lubricated. We have hydrolic brakes so neutral has nothing to do with braking.
If you were driving a truck which uses air brakes and needs certain air pressure to operate then it would be a problem. I think air tanks are charged by air pump running of the engine. If the engine is at idle while in nutral, air pump might not pump enough air to keep the tank pressurized and you loose brakes. But in a modern car that is not a problem.
The gears are stationary but your primary shaft, the one connected to your driveline, is still turning. It has bearings that need to be lubricated and the transmission is not pressure lubed but rather splash lubed by the gears.:thumbup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts