E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking into MAYBE putting a small 50 shot of Nitrous in my 323ci but I have heard that the 323 M52 engine is terrible for nitrous applications. Is this true? Why?

I know nitrous is NOT good but I have heard of 330 and 325 M54 with it and they don't seem to have any problems.

Thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
"You almost had me? You never had me - you never had your car. . . Granny shiftin' not double clutchin' like you should. You're lucky that hundred shot of NOS didn't blow the welds on the intake! Now me and the mad scientist gotta rip apart the block, and replace the piston rings you fried."

·
Registered
874 Posts
Nitrous itself isn't dangerous, it's only dangerous when used improperly, installed incorrectly, and/or abused.

The biggest reason that most people blow up their engines with nitrous is using too much of it..and not having enough fuel...i.e. running lean. Nitrous itself doesn't do anything, just supercools the intake charge...making air dense, which allows for more air to be packed in. You absolutely must have enough fuel to offset the air coming in and this is where most people run into problems (when using a huge shot of NOS on a stock motor)

A 50 shot should be okay. Make sure its installed by a professional and done correctly. Have an emergency kill switch installed and I always recommend keeping a small fire extinguisher in the car just in case- one of those APC units would suffice. (I recommend this even to people who have some major car stereo equipment...a short can easily cause a fire)...better to be safe than sorry!

Nitrous can be fun and safe, as long as it is used correctly! Good luck!

·
can ya spare some change?
738 Posts
Double Vanos said:
I have always heard that nitro will damage your engine sooner or later?
Its not the nitrous that physically damages the engine, but the extra pressure and stress it puts on your internal engine parts because of, as TheDream21479 said, more air pressure in the combustion chamber. BMW engines were built within certain operating parameters, as are most engines, thus when you exert an abnormal amount of stress at uneven it causes extra engine wear. The same is true for superchargers and turbos, BUT, the boost is fixed, which minalizes the wear, if any as a result.

Of course if you try to run a supercharger at 15psi on an cast aluminum block engine, it ain't gonna last that long.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67514&highlight=Nitrous

·
Registered
176 Posts
Its the same engine basically

·
Registered
271 Posts
Nitrous itself doesn't do anything, just supercools the intake charge...making air dense, which allows for more air to be packed in.

You would be incorrect. It does a lot. When its superheated in a combustion chamber, it breaks down and the oxygen seperates from the nitrogen. that's the whole point of it. the cooling properties are just a side effect.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
"You almost had me? You never had me - you never had your car. . . Granny shiftin' not double clutchin' like you should. You're lucky that hundred shot of NOS didn't blow the welds on the intake! Now me and the mad scientist gotta rip apart the block, and replace the piston rings you fried."
LOL!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've heard the opposite of the OP. A well known local shop told me that the M52 has a stronger bottom end. If true, I guess this can be likened to the Honda/Acura guys choosing the Integra LS bottom ends when building a motor intended for FI or NOS.

·
Registered
898 Posts
im running a 75 shot on my 330 and its been taking it in great. Basically it all comes down to how you use it and making sure your car is in good running condition.
As for the original question - any car can handle Nitrous (just run a small shot to be safe - a 50 shot would work great) Running higher shots required more safty measure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts