E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to blow the JL audio XR-series of speakers?

I am running the 300/4 JL amp which is 75 watts RMS per channel. The XR-series supposed to handle 70 watts RMS. Of course, I don't have the amp maxed out, but I do hear some flapping.

Also, I thought that JL audio XR-series supposed to have some protective/overload protection feature on the crossover so that if they are overloaded then it will shut off instead of blow.

·
OG e46fanatics lurker!
1,902 Posts
how are your gains set?

·
OG e46fanatics lurker!
1,902 Posts
whoa! that sounds a bit much for...gains shouldnt be set up that high, the higher the gains, the higher distortion is sent to the speakers, i think...

·
Registered
54 Posts
The gains should be set to match the input voltage from teh deck you're using. If the head unit is only sending .1 V to the amp, then the gains woyuld probably be wound to max, if the deck however outputs the typical 4V, then the gains would be reduced to a level which matches the input voltage. The signal typically distorts when an amp is being overdriven at it's input stage (due to gains set incorrectly) or when the amp is simply being asked to push too much into the reactive load it's got hooked to it.

Typically any sort of driver protection built into passives is there to protect the tweeter, some employ self resetting thermal fuses, others simple bulbs which will glow when excessive current is trying to be passed to the high frequency circuit.

There's mention of drivers flapping. Which drivers do you have ? Do you have any sort of high pass filter set for them ?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The flapping is noticed on my rear speakers which are JL XR650CXi. http://www.jlaudio.com/evolution/XR650CX.html

Only one of them is producing the flapping sound. It does not flap all the time - only I think when the speakers are overloaded. If I noticed the flapping and I turn the system off and let it sit for a minute then I turn it back on then it usually stop the flapping. I am using the JL crossovers as the only filter besides the JL 300/4 amp settings.

I think that the preamp inputs are 4V.

spr0cket said:
There's mention of drivers flapping. Which drivers do you have ? Do you have any sort of high pass filter set for them ? [/B]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts