E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
High-rotational NA engines such as the e46 m3 engine and e92 m3 engine have a pure engine oil viscosity of 10W-60.

It's probably an engine that was made to use 10W-60 in the past, but is it okay to use 0W-40 points of oil if you use high-performance engine oil today?

I wonder if I don't have to use engine oil like 10W-60 because its viscosity and lubrication capability at high temperatures are better than those of the past.

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
You are free to experiment on your own engine, but consider that BMW established spec oil for a well-considered reason. I assume that you are running Blackstone tests regularly. Post your latest results so we can see your starting point.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I don't know what 0-40 sheers to at operating or on track temp, but 10-60 sheets to about 50. These engines need at least a 50 at the oil pressure the system supplies to have a proper film thickness and lubrication.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2004 330CI ZHP
304 Posts
Agreed with the above sentiments. Also take in the fact that S54 and S65 engines have rod bearing issues, so using the proper oil and making sure oil is up to temp before pushing the engine are two things you should stay in the habit of.

·
Registered
249 Posts
High-rotational NA engines such as the e46 m3 engine and e92 m3 engine have a pure engine oil viscosity of 10W-60.

It's probably an engine that was made to use 10W-60 in the past, but is it okay to use 0W-40 points of oil if you use high-performance engine oil today?

I wonder if I don't have to use engine oil like 10W-60 because its viscosity and lubrication capability at high temperatures are better than those of the past.
It was made to use 10w-60 always. The engineers finished them years ago and the engine aren't evolving. Newer oil may maintain its viscosity longer but viscosity is its own separate spec. Use the right spec oil for an engine. You'll drop oil preasure and spin a bearing much sooner.

Here's an oil thread to read.
https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/main-forum/e46-2001-2006/132-what-oil

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.