E46 Fanatics Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2005 BMW 330i
941 Posts
Well buying indivual leads to $242 if you ignore the guide bolts being marked down

·
Registered
90 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Like others have mentioned, the parts suppliers have change a lot in the recent years. I appreciate the “kits” ECS puts together, such as my S62 rod bearing kit. It made that part simple.

That said, I order 95% of my stuff from FCP simply due to the customer service. I’ve been bitten by FedEx a couple times this year, not FCP’s fault, but that’s about all I can say that would be negative. I have a set of rotors I need to return because FedEx can’t figure out how to deliver stuff.

I wish the dealers would be more competitive with prices so we all had the convenience of local, OEM parts. Oh well, we don’t interest them. I understand why but it’s still a bummer. I dropped my BMWCCA long ago due to this. The rounded was great magazine but the parts pricing was what I was really after.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I didn't know about Pelican, that's mega sad. I used to call all the time for parts on the 914 and they had actual guys there who knew the cars and what I needed.

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
7,476 Posts
Like others have mentioned, the parts suppliers have change a lot in the recent years. I appreciate the “kits” ECS puts together, such as my S62 rod bearing kit. It made that part simple.

That said, I order 95% of my stuff from FCP simply due to the customer service. I’ve been bitten by FedEx a couple times this year, not FCP’s fault, but that’s about all I can say that would be negative. I have a set of rotors I need to return because FedEx can’t figure out how to deliver stuff.

I wish the dealers would be more competitive with prices so we all had the convenience of local, OEM parts. Oh well, we don’t interest them. I understand why but it’s still a bummer. I dropped my BMWCCA long ago due to this. The rounded was great magazine but the parts pricing was what I was really after.
I wish the dealers would be more competitive with prices so we all had the convenience of local, OEM parts

The problem with the above is only about 20% fault of the dealer. I am aware of many of the prices that a dealer will pay BMW N.A. and N.A. charges the dealer a healthy markup over what one can find on the internet for a OEM part. Sure there's Matrix pricing and some dealers could care less about a CCA or other discount. Others are aggressive and advertise in magazines and the internet. They relish the large volume they see with such.

At the end of the year when closing out my financials, I usually spend a day going over my P&L statements. During such I also look at how much I spend on parts, where and with whom. My quantity and dollars spent with the dealer for parts has grown about 15-20% year over year in the past 4. This is owing to two factors:
A: New control units and/or modules only available through the dealer network.
B: Many parts of otherwise questionable quality on the aftermarket (modern valve covers come to mind) wanting to provide a quality part, sees me purchase through the dealer.

The upshot of buying a part from the dealer; One has a nationwide 2 year warranty at any dealer. Peace of mind for me and my customers. Most of whom are not the DiY crowd.

·
Registered
714 Posts
^^ I have noticed a big drop in quality of OE and OEM parts lately and am more inclined to go with Genuine parts.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Beside FCP, here are a few more places to purchase parts.
Usually I compare prices and leverage shipping promo/cost.
Options are good, you won’t feel trapped.

Sent from my iPad using E46Fanatics

21 - 29 of 29 Posts