E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not one to complain but jeez $228 for some bolts, clips, and plastic caps? I hope this is just a temporary situation and price will go back down.

·
Registered
2011 335i xDrive, 2003 325xi 5spd SOLD
1,283 Posts
Probably, most of their stuff is overpriced anyway unfortunately, tack on the "GENUINE BMW" badge and they're gonna rip you off.

·
Registered
E46 F10 W204 W212
5,244 Posts
Most if not all those items are available from ATE, the OEM. Go to kit contents and shop it around. I’d go RMEuropean or AutohauAZ for this.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Maybe it's inflation and the good old "due to the pandemic, we're experiencing higher than normal call volumes"

The pandemic has been a fantastic exscuse for corporate America to lean out customer service. I ordered a pair of etnies weeks ago and there website says no one is available to take calls indefinitely. It's all done via email. Absolute garbage.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
it's not a typo. When you click on that kit on the seperate parts (bolts, carrier clip, ...) the costs of each thing is already rediculously high

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,996 Posts
I bet I have all those parts tossed in my bmw drawer somewhere. They're yours free if I have them--just pay shipping and finding fee of $207.35 :)

·
Registered
296 Posts
Just priced a thermostat and o-rings from them for my M. They were only $3 more shipped than getbmwparts. FCP was the same. ECS shipping has been somewhat spotty the last year or two so I went with getbmwparts.com. CS and shipping suspect all around due to the reasons listed above....it's a crap shoot!

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
7,468 Posts
With respect to the above; a sidebar about the warranty. Having just gone through this with a customer buying a genuine part (not from a dealer) and having a warranty issue.

Customer is 500 miles from home. Heater control valve is leaking. Small and capable shop (NOT BMW oriented) wants to replace the valve with a generic part. Customer steps in and orders a genuine valve from Pelican Parts. Installed and all is good, up until about 18 months into the 2 year BMW parts warranty. It's leaking. Now the fun begins.

Pelican says to the customer; to have me return the part to the dealer. My dealer (I have a VG relationship with BTW) wants a receipt from a dealer to support the warranty. Here's the catch: The genuine part was NOT sourced through a dealership. Therefore no part warranty. It's part of the charter agreement between any USA dealer and BMW N.A.
Furthermore the charter actually forbids any dealer to sell parts to a 3rd. party (although many do) for sale.

I suspect that better outfits just eat the cost of applying a warranty of such as a "cost of doing business?"

I had to purchase a new valve for the repair.
YMMV

·
Ironman
01 330iT 6MT, 98 M Roadster
5,121 Posts
How much does the dealer want for those parts (being Genuine BMW)? Unless you have a good dealer and a BMWCCA discount, I'll bet it's north of $275. I let my CCA membership drop because the only thing of value to me (the parts discount) has become a joke. My local dealers used to tack on 10-20% from list price for their parts w/o a CCA discount, but then would take roughly 20% OFF the list with the CCA discount, putting in the range of ECS and FCP. Not anymore with the dealers around me. I get all my Genuine BMW parts from ECS now. WAY WAY cheaper than the dealer.

If you want cheaper than that, you're going to have to source something other than Genuine BMW.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm not one to complain but jeez $228 for some bolts, clips, and plastic caps? I hope this is just a temporary situation and price will go back down.

Something as generic as that should be available on a much cheaper service like Rockauto

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,996 Posts
...although I doubt it...could this price include the rotors and pads. It says it's 'everything' to install front brakes--rotors and pads are certainly needed. :) Just saying...because that doesn't look like prices I'd expect at all.

·
Registered
296 Posts
...although I doubt it...could this price include the rotors and pads. It says it's 'everything' to install front brakes--rotors and pads are certainly needed. :) Just saying...because that doesn't look like prices I'd expect at all.
Nope, just hardware. The caliper guide bolts are $26 each....wtf. However, that is inline with all other vendors.

ATE brand is about $4 each......seems like a no-brainer.

·
Registered
04 325XIT 05 325IT 03 325XI 05 X5 3.0
657 Posts
Nope, just hardware. The caliper guide bolts are $26 each....wtf. However, that is inline with all other vendors.

ATE brand is about $4 each......seems like a no-brainer.
THIS, just buy ATE why pay surcharge for BMW?

·
Registered
65 Posts
THIS, just buy ATE why pay surcharge for BMW?
I think for most people, they don't know the individual OEM's for each part.
They see BMW part or ATE part and don't make the connection that ATE makes the OEM part.
All they hear about on BMW forums is how aftermarket parts are junk so they are pre-disposed to think OEM or nothing.

·
Registered
2001 330i (pre-facelift)
625 Posts
As a side note, are ECS and Turner Motorsport the same company? Both of them seem to have the same products. Plus I see ECS branded stuff on the Turner website, and vice versa.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts