BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’m about to pull the trigger on getting the Bavsound Stage One for my M3 coupe. Especially now that they are having a 15 year anniversary special.
Before I go ahead and order, I would like to hear from those who bought it and your opinions. Is the sound really a big difference from the Harman Kardon? Is it worth it or better off going a different route?

I appreciate you guys inputs as always.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

·
//Binary is in my DNA
2002 BMW 325i
3,721 Posts
I***8217;m about to pull the trigger on getting the Bavsound Stage One for my M3 coupe. Especially now that they are having a 15 year anniversary special.
Before I go ahead and order, I would like to hear from those who bought it and your opinions. Is the sound really a big difference from the Harman Kardon? Is it worth it or better off going a different route?

I appreciate you guys inputs as always.

Thanks

When I installed the Stage 1 it was better but not enough difference for me to say wow. Once I added their sub enclosure and 1000w sub amp, the system sounded amazing.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I installed the Stage 1 it was better but not enough difference for me to say wow. Once I added their sub enclosure and 1000w sub amp, the system sounded amazing.

Thanks for replying Overboost, prior to adding their sub enclosure and amp, were you just just using the original HK sub or aftermarket? My issue with their enclosure is that I put in a bunch of stuff in the trunk regularly when we travel and don’t want to lose trunk space.

·
//Binary is in my DNA
2002 BMW 325i
3,721 Posts
Thanks for replying Overboost, prior to adding their sub enclosure and amp, were you just just using the original HK sub or aftermarket? My issue with their enclosure is that I put in a bunch of stuff in the trunk regularly when we travel and don’t want to lose trunk space.

All Bavsound. The amp was from them but a Rockford Fosgate. I use the enclosure that mounted under the package tray so that almost all of the trunk is usable. In the event I needed more room, I can remove the enclosure with 2 large wingnut fasteners. Keep in mind I bought all of this back in 2006 so they may not offer the same components. :thumbup:

Attachments

·
Registered
195 Posts
They don’t offer the sub for the e46 anymore unfortunately. I’m looking at these speakers as well and wish I could get their sub

·
//Binary is in my DNA
2002 BMW 325i
3,721 Posts
They don’t offer the sub for the e46 anymore unfortunately. I’m looking at these speakers as well and wish I could get their sub
It shouldn't be too difficult to replicate, it's just a box. I would be happy to take dimensions for anyone. Standing from the rear looking in, the rear top of the box (closest to you) has 2 tongues that slip into factory slots up there and the top front (farthest from you)has 2 large wingnuts that screw into place.

Attachments

·
Registered
929 Posts
I have Bavsound Stage One for the HiFi in my e46 sedan. Happy customer. These produce clean sound with good separation and definitely a step up from well-aged factory speakers. I first spec'd, purchased, and installed a roll-your-own set but was disappointed, and found the Bavsound price difference was small. No sub, so low-end is predicably missing. Enjoy

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I have had both the sub and speakers and they are not worth it.

Of course replacing old crappy HK speakers with brand new speakers will sound better.

With the sub you have to do all the same wiring as an aftermarket setup.

Do some research. Buy a technic harness to simplify the wiring. Get a nice 4 channel amp to power a set of components and a nice mono amp to power a sub. Sub size is personal preference. I have 2-12s. You may only want 1-10 if you dont want too much bass.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I want to thank all of you for your replies. After reading the pros and cons, I’ve decided to go ahead and order the Bavsound Stage 1. As mentioned, the HK speakers are antiquated and needed to be replaced anyway. Since today is the last day for the 15% discount, I went ahead and pulled the trigger.

Cheers!

·
Registered
195 Posts
I want to thank all of you for your replies. After reading the pros and cons, I’ve decided to go ahead and order the Bavsound Stage 1. As mentioned, the HK speakers are antiquated and needed to be replaced anyway. Since today is the last day for the 15% discount, I went ahead and pulled the trigger.

Cheers!

Well done! Let me know what you think of them

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well done! Let me know what you think of them

I will surely post my opinion about it. I have not decided on their sub yet, because I’ll be looking at my options in regards to my trunk space. I liked Overboost’s trunk sub set up, however they are no longer available. So I will try to come up with the best application for my needs after the Stage 1 kit is installed.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did you install you speakers yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just received the box Monday night and still haven’t had a chance to install them. I’m a bit anal causing me lots of time to do things especially having a real bad shoulder plus being up there with age...Hopefully will get to install them not this weekend, but the next.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Well I’ve finally installed the Bavsound speaker kit. I can’t really say the sound difference from the HK speakers is really that big since the original speakers were old and probably close to being trash, though still performing. To my ears, the biggest difference is the clarity of sound all together. With the condition of the HK speakers, it’s safe for me to say that the Bavsound is worth it since I needed to change anyway. I don’t know if I could say the same if the HK’s were still newer.

The most advantage with the Bavsound’s was the ease of installation, because they’re pretty much plug and play and keeping the OE look. In all, I can say a 7 from a scale of 1 - 10. BTW, that sound deadening material I added to my purchase made a lot of difference and perhaps a contributing factor to the clarity of the sound.

Cheers!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts