BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my ipod hooked up thru a BMWPILA and it works just fine with no interference on the stereo. However, I just bought a Belkin ipod Powerport car power adapter and when i plug it in, i can hear a buzzing sound that correlates with engine revs. When i'm idle, its a quick repeating buzz and when i accelerate, it sounds like the engine. anyone know how to get rid of this? i'm not sure what I should ground to make it go away.

Also, for those of you who have hardwired the ipod power to your bmw, what did u use and how did u do it?

·
Registered
512 Posts
it could be that you are running the power wire too close to the output cord...sometimes this causes a field of interfierence from the power wire...

i know this can happen when you run a power wire for an amp too close to the speaker cables...

just a thought...

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmmm.....i'll give it a try. someone else mentioned in another thread on an ipod forum that it could be the fourth part of the plug that is meant for the inline remote that is causing the problem. i'll try both out. thanks for the advice

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, i tried using the inline remote - still buzzing.
I also tried moving the power cord away from the headphone cord - still buzzing.

anyone else know how to get rid of the buzz?

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
still buzzing, anyone have any ideas????

·
Registered
433 Posts
i just finished hardwiring mine and I have no buzz at all - perhaps you have the volume to high on your belkin adapter?

i decided to tap into the cig lighter power and ground then use a switch inbetween the power to the ipod so i can charge it when i want...

there is also a ground right in front of your shifter...

·
Registered
418 Posts
Yea I would try messing with the volumes. Like morrow95 said, try upping the volume on the iPod and lowering it on the belkin adapter.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
volume on the belkin adapter?????? this is just a plug from the cigarrete lighter to the ipod... not an fm broadcaster. i'm running rcas from my ipod to my bmwpila in the trunk. ipod doesnt have a buzz when its not plugged into the cig lighter but starts immediately when i plug it in.

EDIT... my bad, i dont hve the belkin adapter. mine is just called "powerpod" by griffin technology

·
Registered
418 Posts
Try the ground loop as suggested above, or just try connecting the ground from the power adapter to a different point in the car. Maybe it's just using a dirty ground right now.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the advice guys...i'll give the ground loop a shot and post the update here

·
Registered
188 Posts
starscream said:
volume on the belkin adapter?????? this is just a plug from the cigarrete lighter to the ipod... not an fm broadcaster. i'm running rcas from my ipod to my bmwpila in the trunk. ipod doesnt have a buzz when its not plugged into the cig lighter but starts immediately when i plug it in.

EDIT... my bad, i dont hve the belkin adapter. mine is just called "powerpod" by griffin technology
Thats one reason I picked up the NEO instead of the iPOD but then I didnt need a portable player. I didnt want to run the RCAs to the back just to have them go back to the head unit.

Try running the power along with the RCAs to the trunk. Connect the power supply module (whatever your using) to the yellow (+12) and black (gnd) of the BMWPILA module. Ground the BMWPILA good! I bolted it to the chassis between the stock power amp and the car side metal. There are some holes on the structure to bolt it to. I can take pictures of my setup if needed.

I took the power from car battery with the suppied power cord (~10ft) and also tried running the power to the cig lighter as a quick hack but this too generated to much noise. It might have been better if it wasnt 10ft but I just wound up connected it to the BMWPILA module with two feet of cable to power the NEO. This worked better.

Increasing the output level of the iPOD to the RCAs will help. Not to much as it will clip the input of the head unit. I would guess 1v pk-pk or so.

You can try also to ground the iPOD (withing a foot or two) to chasis while running the power back to the module like I described.

Try another DC-DC supply or use the firewire cable to charge the batteries and disconnect the cable after charging. :dunno:

Hope you get it going.

Greg :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts