BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want install iPhone 6 plus into dash with Soundmanca slide kit to replace my factory stereo in BMW E46. I was considering all options around.
1. I thought about holder and BT adapter, but my BMW Professional (EU) pixels are dying and it's impossible to find new display for this particular mode. Downgrade to business? I don't want downgrade and I don't want to see dede display each day
2. Well 2DINs. Almost each 2DIN has ugly interface and each function it's dose (including Avin), it dose it worse than modern smartphones with cellular internet on-board, streaming music etc.
3. aftermarket CarPlay and Android Auto. UI is good, works quick. But they are restricted! No GMaps on CarPlay...
4. So I decided to consider iPhone 6 plus integration. I don't need iPad in my dash, because it's not safe to left it inside. And I don't want to take care about it before and after driving. In the same time iPhone is always with me.

So as for now iPhone integration is the most suitable solution for me. And with that I want to replace HK amp and speakers as far as the aren't satisfying as for today.

To make integration I want to understand, is it possible to satisfy next requirements:
- Digital output (no BT) from iPhone lightning connector to amp
- I want to control tracks from steering wheel (via Bluetooth or is there any other way?)
- Control amp volume from steering wheel
- Connect external mic to iPhone for calls

Anybody have experiences with this things?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Quite a challenge

Have a close look at Google audio cast which could cover the iphone to aftermarket amps. Phone runs an app and streams to it via WiFi. You can connect to amps via analogue or via digital if the amp accepts this still of connection. Audio cast also supports up to 24bit / 96k at streaming rates that aptx can't support.

Steering wheel button integration would be difficult but you could use an aftermarket remote such as http://www.satechi.net/index.php/smartphones-and-tablets/accessories/remotes/satechi-bluetooth-button-series-media-button

Couple ideas to consider .....

The iphone uses three microphones and uses great noise cancelling technology. Far better than if you add a microphone for siri or hands free calling. Just make shaw the the mice aren't covered.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts