E46 Fanatics Forum banner
41 - 60 of 284 Posts

·
Ironman
01 330iT 6MT, 98 M Roadster
5,121 Posts
I'm lurking on this thread for now. I've got an 04' 6 speed smg with 46K on the clock and I want to have bluetooth for music and phone but I want it to be fully factory not aftermarket. You obviously know your stuff, so thanks for the killer write ups and info!
I'm curious why you want to stay 100% factory. Are you familiar with the Dynavin N6? It does everything the factory nav does and more and it does it better. The sound quality is a noticeable improvement over the factory radio. It looks OEM and is very easy to install. It is designed to be a nav/radio as opposed to more of a tablet based system. As such it has it's own proprietary operating system instead of Android. That makes it far more reliable. Things just work.

If you don't have factory nav already, I think you'll be happier with the N6. At least look into it. J&T Distributing is a forum sponsor and they sell the N6. Jeff is pretty quick to help with any necessary troubleshooting.

I have only one complaint about mine and that is the main menu interface. It has a Win8 look that I don't like and have been very vocal about. You don't spend much time on the main menu, but more muted colors would be more befitting a premium car IMHO.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I really just wanted to try and keep the factory look as I hate aftermarket head units. However, what you are saying about the N6 sounds fantastic and I will definitely look into it. I want to get Sirius radio as well, I am sure it does SAT.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Updated to oem version v32 via a burned disc. No nav discs required.
The download came from keithoakley.com, burned the .iso using "burn" since I have a Mac,
And minimum speed on the disc was 10x so that's what I used. Only took about 1:30 to burn, and 5 minutes for the update.

At least now I can buy 2015 discs with confidence they will work.

The trick with the 04 TCU, is that you have to forget device every time you get out of the car, and pair from scratch every time you get in, otherwise it doesn't work the second time. Inconvenient... But free and workable till I find a later model tcu.
And you can't answer on screen... Though you can dial on screen.

My 2 part solution is OEM for calling, and aux + BT music only adapter for music, thurston.

·
Registered
68 Posts
cool, thanks! One big thing as well is that I use Android devices, I can't use the N6 correct? Avin Avant 2 would be my nicest option but thats $800 plus the climate relocate puts the total at $900 before tax and shipping. Crazy money.

·
Ironman
01 330iT 6MT, 98 M Roadster
5,121 Posts
cool, thanks! One big thing as well is that I use Android devices, I can't use the N6 correct? Avin Avant 2 would be my nicest option but thats $800 plus the climate relocate puts the total at $900 before tax and shipping. Crazy money.
You can absolutely use your Android phone with the N6. It uses standard Bluetooh pairing.

The Android nav units simply use Android as the OS. You can download the same apps, but if you read the threads about the Android units, you'll find a LOT more people having trouble with them. If you're good at utilizing Android and want a unit you can use more like a computer, the Avant 2 is pretty good and generally well supported.

If you go OEM you'll need to do climate control relocate anyway. It will probably be more expensive than the N6.

Lastly, I'm not familiar with any nav unit for the E46 that does SAT (or does OEM?).

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 · (Edited)
What do you mean by SAT?

Sirius? Yes, with OEM they do. Add on modules are available.

You can use my 2part solution w/o a screen , i.e. Standard h/u.
That's how my gf's x3 with SOS/ Assist is configured.

Same caveat applies though about the re-pair because hers is also an 04, as is yours, Thurston.

If we had 05 TCU or 06, there'd be no issues. Those work without problems, which is why the 04 have theirs coded off from the factory. Better no Bluetooth than a malfunctioning glitchy Bluetooth.
;)?

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Good news. The fuel gauge is now fixed... Or at least it seems to be.

I ran nothing but Chevron gas with techron for the last month, even added a bottle of extra techron with one tank, and the gas gauge is responding correctly, going to full immediately when I fill up, etc. for the last two tanks.
just an idea before those of you with replaceable sensors condemn one as failed.

I got a cel, but cleared it with the DIS and it hasn't come back. Used dis to confirm failed drivers mirror, passengers mirror responds correctly when computer commanded to move. While I was there I also did some coding with NCS, added the brake force 3rd stage to active with abs.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 · (Edited)
I tried recoding the Nav drive in NCS Expert. The option is there but then it didn't want to read the disc anymore so I put the settings back to ECE, etc the way they were.

I'm building an IBus adapter out of an old USB cable, INPA cable and a INPA to 20 pin adapter I had sitting around unused, and I'm going to try Navcoder instead.

Instructions found in this thread.

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...uages-with-NCS-Expert&p=25251788#post25251788

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Ok, NCS can code it.it was my mistake in leaving the disc in and not waiting for drive to power down before making another change.
Back in US mode.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 · (Edited)
PSA / FYI

NAVCODER beta works with a regular Dcan cable thru OBD port! No need for a resler interface or an ibus connection anymore.
If all you are going to do is recode the Nav, the free beta has the functionality you need.

I was able to code the split screen and change languages to US GB and German (in combo with a downloaded Nav OS v32 disc burned to cd-r).

I checked NCS after and it had changed widescreen mode from wert 01 to wert 00, so you may not even need Navcoder, unless you want to change languages. NAVCODER is easier than making a custom OS disc. If it could load the splash screen directly, it'd be perfect...

This is what it looks like, kinda wish it would do the Nav map and radio together instead of the route arrow or the gps coordinates.

I also learned a valuable lesson... Don't choose USA under region/ country... Choose state.
When it asks for city, don't look for city, out in the zip code. Very fast this way. The other way is so slow that after 4-5 minutes I still hadn't finished entering the address!

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
This is mostly for Thurston:
I learned to answer calls without having to swipe on my iPhone.
I can hit the telephone button on the Nav, or the talking man symbol on the steering wheel.
So I was wrong, it does everything phone wise. IOS 9.3.1 is what I'm on now, iP6+. I'm sure it will work the same with android, and it is really just the BT handshake protocol that determines what works and how.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 · (Edited)
Ribbons wrapped in a fabric tape. Tape retains moisture.
Moisture penetrates ribbon and corrodes copper trace. Mirror quits working.
Oni bridges trace with very fine wire, solder and a lot of luck.
Plugs mirror into car, both mirrors work again.

I will Remove fabric tape from low point of mirror mount where it turns upwards and insulate the metal bracket instead, on the next one, lol. And will use vinyl tape on ribbon instead of fabric.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
It still works... Here's a picture of where I repaired it.
Also, the red memory light on the seat now lights up, it wouldn't when the mirrors were non-op.
I only fixed the drivers mirror, but both mirrors now work. Appears passenger is slaved off the drivers electrically.
If my repair ever fails I will have to buy a new mirror, but for now I don't.
I had nothing to lose, after all.
It might last years, or days. It's in a place with 0 movement, and all the flexing I did to get the ribbon back thru the retainer & weather seal, was probably the most it will ever see, honestly.

41 - 60 of 284 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.