BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2005 325i with 133k and for the last few months I've been trying to figure out a problem with the turn indicator on the gauge cluster.

When I use the turn indicator stalk, the actual bulb on the outside(right or left) comes on and blinks as usual. But the blinking green arrow(or the clicking sound) on the gauge cluster that shows that the indicator is working doesn't always come on. If it does, it doesn't stop blinking well after the indicator stalk resets after the turn is complete. :loco:

I've noticed that this problem gets worse in the summer months and is almost non-existent in the winter(North East). :hmm:

A couple of days ago, the same thing happened with my blue high beam indicator on the cluster. The actual high beam turned off when I pulled the stalk but the blue light stayed on for about a minute after.

I haven't tried to change the switch since it involves airbags.

·
Premium Member
3,518 Posts
That's a K-bus problem. When the problem occurs the steering wheel-radio buttons won't work and a few other little things won't work.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's a K-bus problem. When the problem occurs the steering wheel-radio buttons won't work and a few other little things won't work.
That actually describes the problem better than I did. Is this something that can be tackled easily? I'm reading about resetting the K-Bus by unhooking the battery completely for a couple of hours. I'm not sure how it resolves the problem though.

·
Premium Member
3,518 Posts
No, forget that crap on resetting the K-Bus. I don't know where they come up with that s$&t. My web site has instructions on troubleshooting the K-Bus. www.bmwgm5.com/k-bus_troubleshooting.htm
If the problem is solid it should only take about an hour to narrow down the problem to which K-Bus wire is causing the problem. The second part of figuring where that wire goes could be near impossible without a computer with GT1 diagnostic software (or equivalent) to help figure out where the wire goes it can.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts