BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. This forum helped me on multiple occasions to fix my 325i :bow: However this time I can't find any relevant info.

My car (2005 325i) occasionally goes into the "limp mode". I would be driving (random speeds, sometimes happens at 60 mph, sometimes at 5 mph) and the transmission warning light ([!]) next to the gear selector (P,R,D) lights up. The car becomes sluggish when accelerating and is jerky when coming to a stop. When I turn the car off, wait ~30s and turn it back on the light disappears. It can reappear later after 10 miles or 500 miles (random). Once the light was accompanied by "service engine soon" but this light also went away after ~10 miles.

I read transmission codes with INPA, this is what I get:

2 errors in error memory. Error frequency: 3

- 145 CAN Moment reduction
- 146 CAN Moment interface

The errors say that they happened when upshifting 3->4 or 4->5. However, in one case when it says 3->4 I am certain it happened when I was pulling into my driveway at ~5 mph, so I don't know how accurate this is.

I found no other errors present that would be relevant to this.

Any help?

·
Registered
80 Posts
The transmission's control unit will ask the DME to reduce torque when shifting over the CAN bus. I'd be checking the CAN lines between the GKE and the DME in the E-Box before I went too nuts on anything else. I've noticed INPA to be slightly inaccurate in my experience, but I'm running the Alpina software on my ZF 5HP19. These transmissions default to 4th gear when errored out, so maybe that's why.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello everyone.

Sorry to revive an old thread but I wanted to update it in case anyone encounters similar problems in the future.

My problem was fully resolved simply by replacing the battery. The errors went away immediately and have not reappeared for the past 2 months of regular driving.

Hope this helps somebody in the future :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts