BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I already know that I'm due for a new Intake camshaft position sensor b/c the car was stalling when coming to a stop and I had the OBD code read....but can anyone tell me what could cause the following?

When in gear and trying to accelerate or just cruising, the revs drop by ~500 rpms and I get this engine braking effect...kinda like the car is choking? The SES light does NOT go on. What could this be? It happened for the first time on Sunday when I had <1/4 of a gas tank in the car...then i filled up and it went away. It happened again today with <1/4 of a gas tank, I filled up, and it seemed to still occur, though I didn't drive much after that. I'm not sure if the low gas level is linked to this or not. Anyone have this problem?

Thanks.

·
Registered
286 Posts
The gas tank is split into two sections. When you get down to 1/4 tank a transfer pump is suppose to suck gas from one section to the other. It could be cause of your problem

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The gas tank is split into two sections. When you get down to 1/4 tank a transfer pump is suppose to suck gas from one section to the other. It could be cause of your problem
Thanks. That would make sense....I was thinking that the fuel filter could use replacing too...

Can I assume this isn't a problem with the engine since the SES light isn't coming on?

·
Registered
435 Posts
i have the same EXACT problem, it happens in spurts....i have yet to figure out the problem....

it feels like the car is choking right? and it wont let you cross a certain rpm....same exact problem, happening for a few months now and i still cant figure it out

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does it also happen to you when you're low on fuel? I can't say for sure that that's when it happens in my case since it's only occured twice so far...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have the same EXACT problem, it happens in spurts....i have yet to figure out the problem....

it feels like the car is choking right? and it wont let you cross a certain rpm....same exact problem, happening for a few months now and i still cant figure it out
What's your mileage? I'm at 96K and I'm thinking about replacing the fuel filter to see if this solves the problem.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
any updates on this???? my car might have the same problem??? my tank was at about a quarter ways... all of a sudden my car lost all power and when i stepped on the gas it would barely move... it just lost all power... i shut it off turned it back on and it drove fine for about 30 seconds and the same thing started happening... had to get it towed...

·
Registered
17 Posts
This has been posted a few different places but I haven't seen a resolution. Anyone know what causes this or better yet what fixes it?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts