E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Brothers.

I need your help again. My car is a 330i 2003, 70k miles.

I replaced the air filter, oil +filter, fuel pump, fuel filter, DISA valve, Oil level sensor, tires, shockers, and brake pads 4000 miles ago. Everything but the tires I did with this site DIY, which I really thank you.

Everything was fine until I resolved to travel to the mountains 150 miles to go and 150 more to come back, on a road with hairpin bends. I mean, I raced my baby the hardest I could. Driving back, flat road, a 70 mph I kicked the throttle down to pass some cars and she had no power. Weird. I could use all gears, I could get up to 90mph, but with limited power. It was at night and I didn't stop. I slowed down to 55mph and 5 minutes later she came back.

Supposing everything was OK, my wife and I went to a 1500 miles trip. 600 miles ahead she did again. 5 minutes later she came back. At the destination place, only low speed, no issues. Driving back to home, at cruise control (75mph) she did 4 times and didn't come back after 5 minutes as before. Then I stopped at a gas station and without to turn the engine off, I realized the engine was running on 5 cylinders only. That was the reason of loss of power. I turned the key/engine completely off then on, and the engine came back running perfectly. The last 300 miles it happened three more times (hence three more key off).

I read tons of threads here and google but I didn't find a problem like the mine. Is this, the engine running on 5 cylinders only, the such "limp mode"?

I have no code reader to read the codes and none of the lamps came up, in any moment. no any kind of lights kind EML or something.

Any help?

Thank you,

Doug.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Check your spark plugs, coils. fuel filter has the fuel regulator integrated on it and when is clogged runs like your car, check the fuel pressure hook a pressure regulator and drive the car around there and check the pressure , fuel pump failure causes loss of power and misfires sometimes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't check spark plugs neither coils yet, but I will, as well as the fuel pressure.

The fuel filter (with FPR) as well as the fuel pump is brand new bought at Bavarian Autosport 3 weeks ago. Do you think I might got a bed luck with those?

Although you may be right, it doesn't make sense to me, because it's intermittent and I just turn the key off and everything comes back. If it's a spark plugs, or cable, or boot, or fuel filter or FPR, or pressure line, or a fuel injector, the engine wouldn't have full power back when I turn the key off. Is this behavior, running on 5 cylinders, a kinda "safe mode" or safe mode is another behavior?

It seems to be an issue is controlled electronically like switched it on/off by the ECU.

Doug.

·
// Quandt AG (Retired) //
3,625 Posts
Common problem 03 330

Hi,

Read your problem. I had the same issue a few years back with my 03 330.

It was the ignition coils. BMW USA have a recall on these. Looks like you are in Brasil. How's Dunga? Got a job yet?

Anyway, I'm in Canada and I took the recall notice to my dealer and made the argument that my 03 330i had the same exact coils that were recalled south of the border and after a long discussion the service manager agreed to change the coils at BMW Canada expense.

You might have the same option in Brasil if your dealer value's your business.

I've attached the recall notices for the Bremi coils. They replaced them with Bosch.

Good luck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thank you a lot. Yes, I'm in Brazil. lol. About Dunga, it's all about money & politics you know. He's a good guy, but in a soccer country like Brazil, there are a lot of conflicting interests. :facepalm:

I already called my dealer about the recall and I've been told the mine is a 3.0L M54, made before 2/09, which means is not covered by the recall (and doesn't have the same insulation problems).

I didn't open the engine cover to see if is Bremi or Bosch, but I will.

One thing I think is not matching is:

1. no any light comes up at the dashboard.
  2. the misfiring/defect is gone if I turn the key off. After turning on the engine immediately, the car is with full power again during one or two more hours driving. Did you car behave like that?

nobody answered me my main question: is this, engine running on 5 cylinders (misfiring) the famous "LIMP" mode? Also, is this misfiring a defect or feature caused by the ECU which is trying to say: go slower or I will turn one cylinder again? (LIMP mode)

Thank you, all.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Brothers,

When I replaced my fuel filter (filter & pressure regulator on the same piece), I noticed the vacuum hose, that comes from "F" connector at the intake elbow boot (rubber) and where the MAF is located, and goes to the FPR (fuel press regulator) is not working. I mean, there is no vacuum in this hose. Can this create problems?

·
Registered
613 Posts
I'm no mechanic so I am curious to know how you know only 5 cylinders are firing if there are no lights on the dash.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts