E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone experience this? The interior molding where the windows seal when closing is not sticking, I had to use some special glue to put it back in place on drivers side. Pretty sad for a car that originally costed 68,000.

Thanks

·
Registered
490 Posts
That must be a very special M3.. to cost(ed)[sic] 68,000 (Convertibles fully loaded are less than that..)

Exactly what trim piece are we talking about on your 68,000 car?

A photo might help (and there are specific trim adhesives which work quite well actually..)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That was the original price with sales tax on a brand new ///M3 so i guess mine is special. how much was yours brand new? And I am in California. So maybe thats why.
But i did use the trim adhesive and it worked fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah i thought it sounded right. I bought mine 2nd hand but it was in awesome condition. I got the original paperwork and when i saw the price i almost isht! but im lovin it! Yeah me and Carl are in south bay, He's got all the hookups for mods! so if you need anything he da mang!

·
Registered
181 Posts
The same exact thing happened with my driver side trim piece. They replace the whole piece of trim under warranty. It happens because it is hot and the glue was designed for a place like germany which is cold.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Guys, i feel a little better now knowing that this is common. BMW should consider redesigining this. My e36 M3 does not have this problem and its been 11 years

·
Registered
66 Posts
It is common and there is a recall or bulleton on it at the dealer. Tkae it there and they will replace it for free.

·
Registered
27,600 Posts
i've done it on both sides within the past two months (did the passenger side yesterday). I used rubbing alcohol to clean it, then a glue which requires you to put it on, then stick it to the substance you want it to stick to, then rip it apart after 30 seconds, then let it sit and get sticky for 5 minutes, than reapply and used tape to hold it securely to it for a couple hours... drove the car last night and haven't had any problems with it (not to mention the drivers side which i did roughly 7 weeks ago)

·
I got nothin'
298 Posts
It is very common. As was explained to me, the adhesive they originally used was not designed for the extremes of hot/cold found in the US and after a short time the glue breaks down and thus your rubber seal starts to fall. I had it replaced under warranty on both doors and 6 months later it began to fall again so like most of you, I fixed it myself. Epoxy is your friend.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I went to the dealer for this, (I;m under warranty), but i remember him saying that there was a bulletin on this. So they should fix it for you.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
iygnitna said:
i took mine to bmw of sd and they just fixed it. it's covered under warranty so no need to do it yourself.
im not under warrenty, and i had gotten it fixed by the dealer 3 times already. they can make over 100hp per liter, but they cant make soem molding stick...

anyways, best glue to use?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts