BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I smell gas inside the cabin of my car before starting it up. The smell than goes away. There is no smell in thetrunk or engine bay, with the engine off or on.

What would cause fuel vapor in the cabin with the engine off? Fuel filter?

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Check if your evaporative canister is saturated and leaking gas as a result. Since cabin air intake is at the base of the windshield you would pick up the gas fumes smell. The canister can become saturated by overfilling just once.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
smell seems to have gone away now... I will get under the car and check the fuel filter and canister tonight as you guys have mentioned tonight.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
lift up the rear bench and remove the rubber cap dome things and look for some gas there. If there is any at all, your o ring may need replacement. cheap and easy fix, no biggie.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
keep me posted on what you find, im having a similiar problem with my canister.. any easy fix guys?
I noticed it again this morning... The smell is only in the cabin and only present before starting the car... as soon as I start it the smell disappears. It does not appear to be as strong as originally stated although it is friggin cold outside here today (7d). I could not figure out exactly where the cansiter is on my car but ther is no smell anywher near the engine.

I will take a look under the seat tonight and I have not ruled out the fuel filter connections either. But, what would cause vapor from the tank/lines when the system is NOT in use? I see no leak/drip under car either.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
This is a realoem.com diagram of the fuel ventilation

some components can be stressed by a saturated canister which is below the trunk. Also check the purge valve and fuel injection rail. There is less fuel evaporation in cold weather.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
im having the same issue :(

would anyone be kind enough to walk me through some of the steps on how to check things out? it would be greatly appreciated :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is a realoem.com diagram of the fuel ventilation

some components can be stressed by a saturated canister which is below the trunk. Also check the purge valve and fuel injection rail. There is less fuel evaporation in cold weather.
If there is less evaporation in cold weather, wouldn't the smell be stronger now? Or can the canister get saturated by some one time event?

Any idea why the smell disappears once I start the car?

Thanks everyone for your input.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
UPDATE: Smell is completely gone. I have done nothing. I have not even checked the fuel filter. I am now under the assumption that the evaporative canister in the rear near the fuel tank was saturated and that excess fuel has worked its way thru.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hello Fanatics,

I know it***8217;s an old thread but i don***8217;t want to start a new one, I***8217;ve noticed the smell right after refueling and sometimes without. Also my fuel gauge is not so accurate, are they related, any idea on a DIY on how to take care of this issue, Help will be greatly appreciated.

thanks

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
^
Parents jag had the same issue. Popped the rear seat bench off to inspect the gas tank seals, sure enough, they were in need of replacement. I'm guessing that could very well be the cause in e46's as well

1 - 14 of 14 Posts