E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all i have a strange situation and i hope someone can help me figure out whats going on. So this is how this all starts...

I went to do a quick inspection of my oil and coolant, i do this about twice a month just to make sure everything is good, and noticed that my coolant was low. So the obvious choice was to top off, however when my mechanic did a coolant flush for me about 2 months prior i forgot to ask him what he put in for coolant. I had advised him to put in blue for me but if i remember correctly he put in the red/pink variety. Anyway ..because its late and the weekend i wanted to just get this out of the way incase i had to drive somewhere and didn't want to risk anything issues in cooling system. So i went ahead and added some peak global lifetime. I have used this before in my car and it seems to be fine, and you can add it do any coolant(so they say). so i topped off a fair amount, closed the cap, checked my oil to make sure the level was good and it was. went inside and put the key in the ignition to let the car cycle the added coolant. First i noticed that the fan started working much harder, i'm assuming this is because of the added coolant. Then the fan noise subsided and i shut off the ignition. Then this is where the odd sound appeared. If was a type of buzzing sound and it seemed to be coming from behind the middle vents above the radio. I would of assumed it would stop after a few seconds but it buzzed for a good 10 minutes non stop. So i put the keys back in ignition plugged in my mobile obd2 and turned the car on to see if maybe something was off, NO trouble codes. Then a few seconds later i got this rhythmic knock kind of sound that kept repeating itself. I then gave it a little bit of gas thinking maybe the coolant didn't cycle and that actually helped and made the knocking stop. however when i turned off the ignition the buzz remained, and it remained for about 20 minutes until i left my car to write this up.

What gives? is this a problem? any input would be highly appreciated:banghead:

·
Registered
712 Posts
Don't know about the noise but I wouldn't use anything besides the BMW antifreeze coolant, a 50/50 mix with distilled water. No blue/ red/ pink/ green/ yellow Peak stuff. Just my 2 cts.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Don't know about the noise but I wouldn't use anything besides the BMW antifreeze coolant, a 50/50 mix with distilled water. No blue/ red/ pink/ green/ yellow Peak stuff. Just my 2 cts.

+1000

It's a bmw not a hyundai.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jesus i join the forum for help about something and what i get is flaming for no reason. Any phosphate free Antifreeze is acceptable, you are entitled to your own opinions and yes i'm aware its not a hyundai since i drive it daily.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Jesus i join the forum for help about something and what i get is flaming for no reason. Any phosphate free Antifreeze is acceptable, you are entitled to your own opinions and yes i'm aware its not a hyundai since i drive it daily.
Welcome to E46fanatics ;) As to your problem...

With the HVAC fan running after the key is out, look into your Final Stage Resistor (FSR) - there are lots of useful posts / DIY's here to determine if that is your problem and how to replace it.

Good luck!

Luke

1 - 7 of 7 Posts