E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received this copy of an email from the BMW dealer today. I'm not sure if this person is for real or if they are just fishing for a sale. They claim that a few clients are looking for my exact car (2004 325Ci) and that they are willing to overpay buying it from me. It then goes into a spiel about offering me a gift card to test drive a new car and if I'm interested in "making a crazy deal". It's partially handwritten at least I think. I cant detect an impression in the paper from a pen but who knows. Honestly after almost 15 years of ownership and countless of thousands of dollars put into it through repairs/maintenance I doubt I will ever sell this car. Just thought I would share this because it made me laugh. I redacted any personal information from the image. What do you guys think? Serious about "overpaying" for my car or some new tactic by BMW to fish for a sale?

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
5,354 Posts
Not that I'm suspicious (I am) but reminds me of one of the terms (I've heard a lot over the years in working at dealerships) sales people use; "Over-trade".

There's a tactical reason for the line of questions you are asked when walking into any showroom. They need to figure out your budget, trading in or not, cash or finance etc.

In the above, the salesperson see's that you are set on getting a lot for your trade in. No problemo.
Virtually no discount on the car you buy, give you over book on the trade in, and guess what? They sold another car.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sleazy sales tactic, not handwritten.
That was my assumption. Still found this to be amusing. I've never heard of major dealer wanting to "stock up" on 17 year old cars.

·
Registered
'02 330i 5-Speed
5,691 Posts
Sleazy sales tactic, not handwritten.
Yep; the font is made to look handwritten but it's not.

Surprised a BMW dealer is stooping to this kind of tactic; they usually consider themselves "above" that kind of thing.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep; the font is made to look handwritten but it's not.

Surprised a BMW dealer is stooping to this kind of tactic; they usually consider themselves "above" that kind of thing.
Well they did just get bought out by Hoffman Auto Group maybe a year or so ago. Hoffman is probably the largest auto group in the state selling everything from Hyundai's to well BMW now. I would expect it from a Hoffman Dealer tbh.

·
Registered
2004 325i automagic
3,255 Posts
Fwiw, I received a similar email after taking mine in for the most recent air bag recall last April or May. They are just trying to gin up a sale.

Edit: Mine wasn't nearly as contrived as what you posted, with the fake handwriting and pretend back and forth, though to be honest I didn't read it through or pay much attention to it. Very kitchy ...

·
Registered
2006 330 Convertible
196 Posts
It's a sales letter. Nothing more. I just got a similar one in the mail today. Hey, at least you got offered $25 for a test drive. I was only offered a ride home on the VIP shuttle.:rolleyes: The dealership is part of the Hoffman Auto Group and just moved from Watertown to Waterbury. God only knows why they moved from suburbia to a location near several large housing projects. When I had my passenger air bag done last fall I asked the service advisor WTF they were thinking. He just shook his head and shrugged. Everyone I have talked to about it is laughing at them for the move.

Letter.jpg

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's a sales letter. Nothing more. I just got a similar one in the mail today. Hey, at least you got offered $25 for a test drive. I was only offered a ride home on the VIP shuttle.:rolleyes: The dealership is part of the Hoffman Auto Group and just moved from Watertown to Waterbury. God only knows why they moved from suburbia to a location near several large housing projects. When I had my passenger air bag done last fall I asked the service advisor WTF they were thinking. He just shook his head and shrugged. Everyone I have talked to about it is laughing at them for the move.

View attachment 925573
lol Yep same names as my letter. I should make it clear my asking if people think this was real was sarcasm. It's hard to convey that in a forum haha. And yeah Hoffman sucks. Then again so does New Country. I actually wasn't even aware that they moved. When I had my airbag done they they were still at the old location. Be interesting to see what would happen if they were called out on the offer to purchase 15yo+ vehicles. "You can buy my car but I don't want to buy a new BMW"

·
Registered
2006 330 Convertible
196 Posts
lol Yep same names as my letter. I should make it clear my asking if people think this was real was sarcasm. It's hard to convey that in a forum haha. And yeah Hoffman sucks. Then again so does New Country. I actually wasn't even aware that they moved. When I had my airbag done they they were still at the old location. Be interesting to see what would happen if they were called out on the offer to purchase 15yo+ vehicles. "You can buy my car but I don't want to buy a new BMW"
We need a sarcasm font. It would be a big help to me. Obviously, they have no desire to purchase an e46. They are just reaching out to BMW owners, no matter how old the vehicle.
desperation-is-a-stinky-cologne-animated-gif.gif
I'm still jealous that you get $25 and I only get a bus ride.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We need a sarcasm font. It would be a big help to me. Obviously, they have no desire to purchase an e46. They are just reaching out to BMW owners, no matter how old the vehicle. View attachment 925583 I'm still jealous that you get $25 and I only get a bus ride.
Haha I know right. They did at least take the time to put the year of your car in there. Mine was just "vehicle".

·
Registered
E46 F10 W204 W212
5,171 Posts
It's bullshit. The local Mercedes dealership tried to pull the same thing on me. Whatever extra they're "giving" you they build into the car they're trying to sell you, and then some. I think I was extra upset because I was actually in the market and believed it was a genuine offer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts