E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
**important note: I have reached out to admins and no reply yet if this idea is ok, not trying to break sponsor rules or anything else. If so, please let me know ASAP**

I wanted to gauge interest in an Advance Flow Engineering cold air intake group buy? I have been working with AFE directly, and recently did a stage 1 plus upgrades, and then stage 2 install into my 04 M3, and posted the DIYs and reviews here.

In my case, the changes and improvements were noticeable, measurable and considerable. The intake for me has been absolutely worth it, and my dyno improvement matches what they have published for the kits.

AFE recently directly sponsored a series of other group buys on a number of forums and asked me if folks here would be interested.

I don't have the gritty specifics yet, like X buyers = Y discount, and X+ buyers = Y+ discount and so on, but wanted to see if folks were interested.

In my case, the CAI has been an amazing improvement and strongly recommend it (and have) on other cars.

Are folks interested, assuming ok with the admins? If so, I can get the specifics from AFE and then will repost here for signup.

Thanks and let me know.

review threads:
stage 1 - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1039876&highlight=
stage 2 - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1039877&highlight=

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,981 Posts
if I didn't already have another intake system the aFe one would be on my list. good luck and thanks for putting this together for the forum members :thumbup:

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
I run my own "clone" of what you're suggesting. For a little over $100 in parts, anyone can build a great functioning version of this. I'm not trying to derail your AFE thread, for some it might be worth investing.

Here's what you need to build your own.

1)http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5-Filter-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item4867f9289c&vxp=mtr

2) http://www.ebay.com/itm/Air-Filter-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d4d1af2c7&vxp=mtr

3) http://www.siliconeintakes.com/aluminum-pipes/aluminum-pipe-p-758.html

4) http://www.siliconeintakes.com/60-silicone-bend/silicone-60-p-1133.html

Number one (1) fits perfectly into number two (2), creating an optimized venturi effect air filter. The rest should be straight forward in how it works.
This is what number one & two look like when mated together: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpost.php?p=14012197&postcount=35

Good luck,
Rob43

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
I'll look but I don't think I have any. What makes it work (IMO) is the combo of actual cool ram air & the venturi. I wrapped my intake tube with some leftover 2" header wrap as a heat shield.

Rob43

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I would be interested in seeing the actual before and after dyno results. I've yet to see any cold air setup deliver the actual results that the manufacturer claims. Most companies post up a fake dyno sheet and suck unknowing people in with their hype.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
960 Posts
I've been thinking about upgrading my CAI forever now, but haven't because I haven't felt the real need to do so. But if there's a group buy opportunity and I can get a discount, sign me up. The main reason I've never done it is because I've been told what you have mjpgolf.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I've been thinking about upgrading my CAI forever now, but haven't because I haven't felt the real need to do so. But if there's a group buy opportunity and I can get a discount, sign me up. The main reason I've never done it is because I've been told what you have mjpgolf.

Trust me I've pondered this as well but there just isn't a big enough reason to change out the stock intake. To get a quality aftermarket CAI setup is not necessarily inexpensive and the gains are just not there from my past experiences, especially on a non M e46. The "M" may see some very small gains and get more out of having a system installed, but its still very minimal at best.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey guys!

Ok.. so I checked in with AFE last week as there appears to be enough interest to do the group buy here. I am working with a director of marketing for them, and they said they will have all the details to me within the next 10 days. Apparently they are changing all of their sales systems and software last week and this week, so prefer to wait until that is done.

For folks asking about performance gain or loss, I can only speak to my own experience. I changed from 270rwp to 280rwp, going from stock to CAI stage 2 with no other changes to my car. No tune, not even an oil change between the two tests. Should my experience be the case for every single person? NO. In my case, it make a real difference that matched what the manufacturer posted as well. I have heard lots of opinions both pro and con for a CAI and it seems like tastes great, less filling kinda arguments.

In my case, it absolutely has been worth it, or I wouldn't recommend it at least for myself or others. It has made a real power difference and real difference in sound.

I will start a new Group Buy thread hopefully in the next 10 days when AFE gets back to me they are ready. I am also waiting on some details, but basics at this point sounds like E46 M3 stage 2 kit. They will get me the details of the discount and how it will scale depending on how many folks we get.

By comparison, they ran a corvette C7 group buy a little while ago and actually had to cut OFF the number of people as they sold more than they had on hand! Just wild!
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-general-discussion/3465722-group-buy-afe-power-momentum-cold-air-intake-limited-time.html

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Any news on the group buy?
Good morning! This has gone slower with AFE than I would have liked, but it is still in the works. We are trying to work out final details at this point.

It looks like they want to do the M3 S2 kit, and I don't have specifics yet on the X people = Y discount.

Little frustrated with the responsiveness of the person I am working with, but would love to get this done for the group.

There are lots of opinions about CAI systems, both good and bad, but in my case it has made a real world difference.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So update on this.. at this point we are only talking the S2 kit for the M3 model as they would like to focus on one product line at this time. I will say the delay is waiting on AFE at this point, as I am working with a new contact there (on this group buy) and she is far less responsive than I have seen. At this stage I have asked for updates twice this week and had no response. I believe the group buy will still happen but I am less than pleased with the speed of working out the details, when all of my previous exchanges with AFE have been stellar.

On the question about S1 and S2 difference.. there is a pretty significant delta between the two in the actual kits, as I have demo'd and tested them both. Actual RWP results appear to be almost identical (with the S1 kit plus force tube) but kit elements are different. The S1 kit includes all of the billeted aluminum pieces as well. This is my *guess* and pure speculation, but I get the impression the S1 kit was designed first and the S2 is the refined and improved model as it includes the intake tube where is S1 does not by default.

My apologies for the delay, as I know y'all are waiting on me, and I am waiting on final confirmation of deal details from AFE. As it stands right now, looking at the M3 S2 kit, with a target of 1-10 kits for the discount range, of which I am still waiting on the discount info as well.

I am growingly frustrated with the delays.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Drop them, who wants to support a company that really has no interest in supporting our E46 community.

There are other companies that would Love our GB business.

Rob43

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.