E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
27,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,
Today I was getting some work done on my car and was looking through this asian import magazine. The one thing all the cars had in common was a FMIC (front mounted intercooler). I was curious if it would be possible to put an intercooler in behind the mesh screen in the middle of the coupe's front bumper? Anyone know if its been done, if its easy to do, and if so, how much it would cost roughly to have done (buy ic sand instal it)?

·
ILCUTAWOOTIE
3,461 Posts
ur talking bout a simulated intercooler? like the ones civics have to try and intimidate us? an intercooler can def fit in our cars, but u better have a blower behind it or its pointess
-ALex

btw, i like how halo 2 is a mod on ur car, i got a good laugh out of it :thumbup:

·
Mod Squad
10,012 Posts
Uhm... without some forced induction application, an intercooler would serve no purpose.

Anyway, search for some pics of guys that have an AA or ASA supercharger.

·
Registered
839 Posts
russ330 said:
Uhm... without some forced induction application, an intercooler would serve no purpose.

Anyway, search for some pics of guys that have an AA or ASA supercharger.
:werd:

I hope you arent talking about the Cold Air Intake FMIC look alike ... :lmao:

·
A bimmer chick moderator :)
43,113 Posts
just purchase a supercharger and you can have a pretty intercooler :drool: :)

·
Almost stock
726 Posts
You mean something like this?

I hope you're planning on getting either a supercharger or a turbo to go with that and not just a plasic intercooler that goes nowhere? :hmm:

·
No more E46 :(
2,632 Posts
2000_328CI said:
Guys,
Today I was getting some work done on my car and was looking through this asian import magazine. The one thing all the cars had in common was a FMIC (front mounted intercooler).
:idea:

I'd guess that's because they are all turbo charged!

·
Registered
14 Posts
obviously you dont no what a front mount intercooler is for do you? and i can promise you that if you post a pic of your bmw with a fmic that doesnt have a blower hooked up to it. IT WILL BE A SAD SAD SAD DAY FOR ALL BMW LOVERS ON THIS BMW FORUM. ((( I HOPE THIS REPLY WILL HELP YOU WITH YOUR PROBLEM))

·
Registered
27,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
8psi328i said:
obviously you dont no what a front mount intercooler is for do you? and i can promise you that if you post a pic of your bmw with a fmic that doesnt have a blower hooked up to it. IT WILL BE A SAD SAD SAD DAY FOR ALL BMW LOVERS ON THIS BMW FORUM. ((( I HOPE THIS REPLY WILL HELP YOU WITH YOUR PROBLEM))
Two things...
A. If I decide that I want to have an intercooler on my car, I can do so without any repurcussions from you or any other member. "Why?", you ask. BECAUSE IT'S MY CAR AND IF I LIKE IT, THAT'S ALL THAT MATTERS!!!

B. In the words of Chris Jericho, your sentence structure and grammer usage "ABSOLLUTTTTELY SUCKKKKKSSSSSSSS!" Insult someone when you can put a sentence together.

P.S. Why are members on this forum so concerned with what others think of their opinions??? If you like something, that's all that matters!

·
Registered
27,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
wyu said:
You mean something like this?

I hope you're planning on getting either a supercharger or a turbo to go with that and not just a plasic intercooler that goes nowhere? :hmm:

That's actually exactly what I was talking about. I think it just looks nice and with my dark colored car, I think it would help to spice up the front bumper. It would solely be for looks but do you happen have to have any ideas as to how I could install it so it did in fact cool the air before reaching my CAI?

·
43,113 Posts
Wow didnt think anyone would actually do this, well you'll be the first to have a fake intercooler, next mod slap on a M3 badge LOL

·
Registered
27,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm not looking to get a fake intercooler.... I'm looking to get a functional one and bolt it on behind the mesh as shown in that pic above. Yes, I wouldn't have a supercharger or turbo to back it up, but it would look quite nifty.

·
43,113 Posts
but that's posing as if you have a s/c, I dont get why you would do that. Sure it looks :drool: but I wouldnt have one unless I have a s/c or turbo to back it up...well that's just me! :p

·
Ultimate Wagon
1,547 Posts
8psi328i said:

:lmao: oh boy :lmao: need to find myself a "ACS-3" badge for my wagon :bow:

·
Registered
27,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't see how there would be anything wrong with it? It's not like I would put some badge on the back of my car saying "I have a supercharger" or anyt8ing like that.

·
Registered
377 Posts
2000_328CI said:
I'm not looking to get a fake intercooler.... I'm looking to get a functional one and bolt it on behind the mesh as shown in that pic above. Yes, I wouldn't have a supercharger or turbo to back it up, but it would look quite nifty.
first off....wWwhy?! whats the point of getting a real intercooler if there is nothing to cool?!?! :rolleyes: dont do it...it's not going to look "nifty" it's going to look retarded. :nerd:

·
Is NOT A Mechanic
5,700 Posts
Please let me interupt this bashing and defensive thread with some logic everyone might benefit from.

2000 328CI - an intercooler's ONLY function is to work in conjunction with a turbo/supercharger. You may already understand this. An intercooler without a turbo or supercharger is a non-functional one - it would be a fake intercooler. It is, in fact, a badge that says "I have an intercooler". The simulated ones that pipe to your oem air intake technically function, but not as an intercooler. They, too, are fake intercoolers. This is why people here are frowning upon your idea. It is certainly your car, and you have every right to mod it how you like.

Everyone else - if you need to bash anyone's ideas, please, please, please have the ability to explain why you're doing it. If you think that someone doesn't fully understand something they are asking about, take the time to explain without bashing - in a way that cannot be mistaken.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts