BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a Conforti Shark Intake for my ZHP and regardless of what people say here, I noticed a significant gain in power. I had tried this intake on before I had a chip or headers and noticed nothing but after adding it back on with these other mods on the car it definitely helped.

The problem though is that between 300-800 miles after having it on, I've twice now had the Service Engine Soon light come on; error code says running lean on banks 1 & 2. I'm fairly certain that the error code is a result of the air not evenly hitting the MAF sensor and possibly related to the bend in the carbon fiber elbow between the MAF sensor and the foam filter. I'm open to suggestions on this one though.

When I spoke to TMS and Active Autowerkes sales departments, they both told me that I'm going to have problems with all aftermarket intakes due to the air hitting the MAF sensor unevenly and that I should just go back to stock. I'm not willing to give up yet though because it seems like their are plenty of people on here running aftermarket intakes on their 330's. One of the engineers at AA did tell me that later model 330's came with the Siemens MS45.1 DME has a much more sensitive MAF sensor that is highly prone to this problem with aftermarket intakes.

As a result, I just returned the Conforti intake to TMS and am looking for a new one that won't set off the SES light on my ZHP with MS45.1 DME. So my question to you guys is:

Is there anyone here with a later model 330 with MS45.1 DME that is successfully running an aftermarket intake? If so, which one and how many miles without a SES light?

I've basically narrowed it down to my options being between AFE, K&N, or BMW Performance (not a fan of the ridiculous price of the BMW option). I figure that its between these three since they don't have a bend between the filter and the MAF sensor, but I'm strongly leaning towards the AFE since it seems to have the better isolation from heat than the K&N. I don't want the Dinan one because it takes away your driver's side brake duct cooling.

Thanks for any help!

·
Keep it clean
8,047 Posts
I had the same issue with mine, I couldn't get it to go away. Consider the Pipercross Viper. You have to get it from the UK, but it's nice. I also like the Dinan (although I generally don't like their products). AFE is decent, too. BMW Perf is great, but soooo expensive.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I have a K&N conical style filter installed on my 2005 ZHP. Been installed for about 9 months...no elbow, (direct connection to MAF) and no SES light. I'm thinking about going back to stock because of the heat soak I feel I'm experiencing. :cry:

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had the same issue with mine, I couldn't get it to go away. Consider the Pipercross Viper. You have to get it from the UK, but it's nice. I also like the Dinan (although I generally don't like their products). AFE is decent, too. BMW Perf is great, but soooo expensive.
Did you just switch back to OEM from your Conforti or do you have one of these other brands now?
I have a K&N conical style filter installed on my 2005 ZHP. Been installed for about 9 months...no elbow, (direct connection to MAF) and no SES light. I'm thinking about going back to stock because of the heat soak I feel I'm experiencing. :cry:
When you say K&N cone style... do you have the K&N kit that has a heat shield to go around the cone filter? Or did you do it the cheap way and just attach a K&N filter to the MAF?

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I just wanted to add that I just got this answer back from @wrecklessfool
wrecklessfool said:
filter attached directly to MAF...cut out my lower airbox to allow it to rest there, but that doesn't shield it from the heat of the engine bay so I'm going to go back to stock in a few days.
When I mentioned K&N, I was referring to this intake kit that includes a heat shield, new tube, and filter mount: http://www.modbargains.com/_e/Intakes/product/KN_Intake_E46_PR/K_N_57_Series_and_63_Series_Intake_BMW_E46_3_Series_and_M3.htm

·
Keep it clean
8,047 Posts
I just have a drop-in (Streamline) and I have a Pipercross cool air feed coming from my foglight. I'm considering buying or making a scoop for the kidneys, too. I'd like to go with another intake, but not until after I have my headers and cams. I don't think an intake by itself makes too much difference.

Let me know what you find. I'd really like to get more info on the Pipercross Viper :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have a 2004 330i with the Performance Package and I had the Conforti intake for over a year without any SES lights. (I'd say 8000 km) It came out of the car when the car needed servicing at the dealer, but I have not had the chance to put it back in yet.

Sorry, dunno if I have the DME version you were referring to.

·
Registered
612 Posts
OP, your front brake will still get some cooling effect unless you're only racing it(your car). i have the dinan old style snorkel and haven't had any brake fade while spirited driving(80-90 on freeway then braking for bottlenecks).
i was concerned about brake cooling at first but not any more. i just have to be very careful around water!

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
^ Yep, that what I have encounter with my Dinan intake. My next project is re-route the tube somewhere and patching the hole in the brake duct.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I was getting an SES light on my car saying that I was lean on banks 1 & 2 and I was previously blaming it on my Conforti intake, but after some advice from @mkodama I decided to disassemble the entire Intake for closer inspection to see if there might be a vacuum leak.

Same thing, just a cone filter setup. I know someone who got a Dinan intake and had the same problem. Your codes and problems have nothing to do with the your intake.

Engine running leans ---> more air getting in than measured ---> air getting in after the MAF sensor

:slap:
I ended up finding a crack that doesn't appear to go all the way through the rubber and now my question is... Do you guys think that my SES light was more likely because of this crack on the Intake tube in the picture below or because of the Conforti intake?

Thanks.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I purchased a Conforti Shark Intake for my ZHP and regardless of what people say here, I noticed a significant gain in power. I had tried this intake on before I had a chip or headers and noticed nothing but after adding it back on with these other mods on the car it definitely helped.

The problem though is that between 300-800 miles after having it on, I've twice now had the Service Engine Soon light come on; error code says running lean on banks 1 & 2. I'm fairly certain that the error code is a result of the air not evenly hitting the MAF sensor and possibly related to the bend in the carbon fiber elbow between the MAF sensor and the foam filter. I'm open to suggestions on this one though.

When I spoke to TMS and Active Autowerkes sales departments, they both told me that I'm going to have problems with all aftermarket intakes due to the air hitting the MAF sensor unevenly and that I should just go back to stock. I'm not willing to give up yet though because it seems like their are plenty of people on here running aftermarket intakes on their 330's. One of the engineers at AA did tell me that later model 330's came with the Siemens MS45.1 DME has a much more sensitive MAF sensor that is highly prone to this problem with aftermarket intakes.

As a result, I just returned the Conforti intake to TMS and am looking for a new one that won't set off the SES light on my ZHP with MS45.1 DME. So my question to you guys is:

Is there anyone here with a later model 330 with MS45.1 DME that is successfully running an aftermarket intake? If so, which one and how many miles without a SES light?

I've basically narrowed it down to my options being between AFE, K&N, or BMW Performance (not a fan of the ridiculous price of the BMW option). I figure that its between these three since they don't have a bend between the filter and the MAF sensor, but I'm strongly leaning towards the AFE since it seems to have the better isolation from heat than the K&N. I don't want the Dinan one because it takes away your driver's side brake duct cooling.

Thanks for any help!
check any crack on the intake elbow first, then clean the MAF before installing the CAI, make sure you disconnect the -ve cable of your battery at least 10mins before you turn on the engine. It will let your computer reset for adapting more air. I have AFE CAI installed without seeing any SES. ;)

·
Registered
295 Posts
i'd definitely get the crack in the intake boot fixed, because it'll probably throw a code like the one you're experiencing... on top of having an excessive whistling sound. as for intakes, i recently put in a aFe intake and no SES light yet. it sounds awesome too :thumbup:

·
Registered
71 Posts
I was thinking about getting this intake but was wondering if it changes the exhaust note drastically higher like a japanese tuner car or a lower rumble, or if its even noticeable at all?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts