BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to tackle the vacuum system on my car, next.

Based on my research, on a 2005 325i there should be two vacuum ports that are capped off and not in use, #1 and #2 in the picture below. There is no space in the engine bay to visually inspect that area so I stuck my hand in there and felt around. The #2 cap (larger of the two) feels very loose and is very easy to spin around and to take off. The #1 cap was half off the nipple and feels dry-rotted. Both of them have to go.

Does anyone here know their respective sizes? What vacuum cap size would fit on each one of them, and are those two the only two unused vacuum nipples on the intake?

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
The cap for number 1 is 3.5mm and item #15 in the diagram below (part #11611437560).

The cap for number 2 is 7.0mm and item #17 in the diagram below (part #11611727176).

Click to view on RealOEM.

Here's a thread that covers some additional diagrams and their corresponding vacuum lines that might be a useful reference, as well: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=574814.

·
Premium Member
28,970 Posts
If I ever have the intake off, I will epoxy any vacuum ports that are not used!!!!

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Thank you so much for taking the time to answer in such detail.
Absolutely! :thumbup:

In case anyone needs the labeled version of that image, here it is as well:

If I ever have the intake off, I will epoxy any vacuum ports that are not used!!!!
Agreed! Sounds like a much better solution. :rofl:

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
And just to verify the vacuum reservoir is only used on 330 models for the exhaust butterfly valve ?
Don’t believe it’s unique to the 330, as I’ve seen the “golf tee mod” done by some with the 325. On a 325, it’s likely going to be either an Xi or the SULEV.

Here’s one thread with some discussion: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6717517#post6717517.

And here’s the E46 vehicles RealOEM shows the vacuum reservoir on (#18101740207): http://realoem.com/bmw/partxref.do?part=18101740207&showus=1&showeur=&series=E46

·
Premium Member
28,970 Posts
The mid 2004 and newer non xi/M cars do not have a vacuum controlled SAP valve so this is why one of the ports is not used.

I also expect the ZHP not to have the exhaust butterfly.

So this is probably why the newer ZHP do not have any connections to these ports.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Just get the variety pack at autozone. They have the sizes you need. Ask for emissions plugs or vacuum plugs. They are on the wall.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
As per what jfoj said, my 2005 325i does not have a vacuum controlled SAP valve.

In the picture below none of the crossed out items are present on my car, and the SAP check valve does not have a vacuum nipple on it

So when this is taken into the account; does this mean that the only vacuum lines on my 2005 325i are the small fuel pressure vacuum line from the F connector to the fuel filter, the larger vacuum line from the F connector to the brake booster sucking jet pump, and the big nice thick brake booster vacuum line? That is it?

And according to this I should have 3 capped off vacuum ports in total on my intake manifold, as per the image below? Because I am about to permanently seal them with epoxy. Vacuum leaks be damned.

·
:D
7,725 Posts
^^ great info. thanks for the illustration!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am so glad i found this. I have a 2005 325i. I have the p0171 p0174 codes. So i replaced my ccv and when i took off the intake manifold it didnt have a check valve or vacuum lines at the rear, 2 of the 3 port were capped off. The one port didnt have a vacuum line connected to it or anything. Im trying to figure out if that port was supposed to be capped of does something connect to it??

I still have the codes after changing the ccv and the intake boots. Im trying to figure out both issues.

thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
ohh i do not have any of the parts ceric stated in the earlier posts. (no vacuum lines, valves, no nipple on the pump, etc etc

·
Registered
2006 330ci zhp
2,053 Posts
That large port should be capped. Perhaps it fell off? I'd guess that's the cause of your vacuum leak.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Since you have a 2005 car, you will not have a vacuum controlled SAP, so you will not have a check valve in the back.

In a a 2005 325i all 3 vacuum ports should be capped off as they are not used for anything. The missing cap on your intake manifold is part #11611727176. When I went to check mine a few weeks ago it was in such a bad shape that it's a minor miracle that it did not fall off. Go to your local automotive parts suply store and look for some vacuum caps. They usually sell them in variety packs. For that particular port you need a 7.0 mm cap. If you can't find a 7.0 mm one use something close to it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thanks guys. I thought that and when i did the ccv i capped it off anyway. Sucks I still have the cel's but its one less thing it could be. So is this a 325i thing or only 05 models that dont have the check valves and everything?

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
It's a late model thing. They found a better way of doing the SAP and stopped using the vacuum line in the last year of the E46 production. They also stopped using the vacuum line and vacuum reservoir in late model E46 330i's for the exhaust flap, they started using an electronically actuated one instead.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts